Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Griffo - Pennies
Hi, Art

This is a bit of a work in progress and it's always good to read others comments so that corrections can be made. Thank you very much for chiming-in Smile

One thing I've noticed here is the sound quality of the streams. They don't playback with the same degree of clarity as a downloaded version of a track played back on Windows Media Player for example. We also have the changes made during MP3 encoding which alters things quite a bit too. I notice that at the end of the song where we hear the snare break up as the reverb increases on it during fade-out. That break-up isn't heard on the 24 bit Main Mix. Having said that, the player here is good enough to tempt one to download a track for more critical listening - which is what I tend to do now.

Dominant bass..... YES.... guilty. Being a bass player myself, I agonised over that just before uploading. In my own listening environment, it doesn't "seem" to be that overpowering (dominant) - but I'm going to re-investigate this for the next mix.

The flanger on the bass is purely stylistic - but I'll re-visit that also.

I found the guitars and BV's way too dominant and grating on me on other mixes so I had to push them back a bit on my own mix.

That snare was tricky.... and pretty hard to get sitting in the mix so that it could poke through and work with the kick. I'll need to work on that one.

Thank you ever so much once again for taking the time to comment, Art Smile It's very much appreciated.

I'd love Mike to pop by and offer some advice on this mix.

Robert.

(21-01-2013, 11:43 AM)Artbass Wrote: Hi,

interesting take on this one. There are some surprising moments in it. I just write down what I hear:

A very dominant bass, guitars are in the background (interesting decision!) and a bit harsh sounding. The snare sounds very much like paper, misses body/sustain. Vocals sound great (nice delay idea). Toms have a bit too much low frequencies. The outro offers a very clicky (is that a word?) drum and the modulation on the bass seems a bit too obvious to me.

Let me divide this into two groups:
a) Things that seem to be the core of your mix: dominant bass, backgroundish guitars, vocals
b) Things that seem to be improvable without altering your mix to much: guitar harshness, snare, toms, cklicky drums and modulated bass during outro

Having said this I am by no means an authority when it comes to mixing and I worked on this song myself, so maybe I am a bit biased.

Messages In This Thread
Young Griffo - Pennies - by Robert - 18-01-2013, 03:23 PM
RE: Young Griffo - Pennies - by Artbass - 21-01-2013, 11:43 AM
RE: Young Griffo - Pennies - by Robert - 21-01-2013, 02:24 PM
RE: Young Griffo - Pennies - by Mike Senior - 19-02-2013, 10:29 PM
RE: Young Griffo - Pennies - by Robert - 20-02-2013, 01:15 PM