Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: James May - Don't Let Go
I like more the new version. It's more three dimensional.

(07-05-2014, 02:34 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: Well, I was going for a unified feel, as if James May and the musicians were all on one stage together and the reverb was the natural acoustics of that auditorium. I figured using a single reverb as a send effect on all tracks would be the best approach. I did tweak the amount each track sent to the reverb but they's all using the same effect.

If you want to create stage image where players are in line, then one reverb is probably ok, but if you want to have more dimension to that, for example singer and guitar in front, bass and drum more back, then it might work to use two different reverb setting. Notice it could be the same room algorithm, butc with adjustment where other has more early reflections, and the other more later reflections. It's the same way in real room. Distance of the source from the listener changes the balance of early and late reflections.

I agree with the fact that if there's very heavy bottom, then there should be also brighter elements.
If you want to have bright guitar sound, then you might consider using de-esser to cut off only those hits. That way you can have both, bright guitar with controlled hits.

Also suitably adjusted de-esser in the reverb buss could nicely diminish the metallic tail of those hits. Or use different, not so bright reverb for guitar.

(07-05-2014, 02:34 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: That part I left alone; the sound was exactly what I was going for. Smile

And that's the right way to do it. I think one should always follow one's instinct in mixing issues (at least when one is practicing), even if it guides you to bottom of ditch. To develop one's own taste is one of the most important issues in mixing. If one only tries to follow other's tastes, one will never be a good mixer. Somewhere Dave Pensado said that he is not selling his skills but his taste.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pedaling Prince Mix: James May - Don't Let Go - by Olli H - 07-05-2014, 08:47 AM