Poll: Just a dummy question
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Brew - What I Want, mixed by Mange
Thanks for your feedback (Mange/xabix), some very interesting remarks there.

I thought I'd finally gotten grip on the bass, but both remarks tell me that I succeeded for systems that can handle it, yet not for less bassfortunate systems, I am going to try and reproduce the muddiness you hear Mange. To answer your question on the Bass, Mange, yes I have done something to it, I synced it on many places with the kick drum (logic's flex), I am curious how you hear that, cause listening back I still don't hear it myselves (the fact you did shows however I am missing the effect).

I worked on the B2031a's until some months ago when I thought I'd deserved an upgrade...not really I found out as most of the things I had issues with were in the room and speaker placement as I now learn.

Now for the comparisons I did, I was really happy with how that worked out.

I basically set up 3 master busses, 1 for my own mix and mastering tools, and 2 for two other mixes (1 Mange's mix and 1 with Mick Jaggers Wired all night). I gave each track a frequency analyzer and put a level meter on the main output. Now if you put on separate tracks in your daw those mixes just NOT at the same points in time (!) you can then quickly flip between different mixes by just moving your playing cursor. Beats flipping switches and volume knobs for me.

Mange, on your mix, the analyzer shows, in comparison, that you have much energy in the subbass below 30 Hz, I was told (by a friend of mine that's a trained audio engineer who's mixes i very much respect) that unless mixing for clubs with corresponding music types it is best to remove that there bevause it takes energy from the rest of the sound spectrum. On the Bass side furthermore the 30-200 is quite flat whereas in commercial recordings I like there is often a little spike in the 50-100 range where the bass is, in this case I put it (admittedly too much) it around 60 Herz. The mix spikes a little between 350-500 which I flattened out and finally starting 3kHz there is not so much high as I have in mixes I like and like how its put in mine.
I don't recognize having too much reverb in your mix.

Finally I am playing with ToneBoosters plugins and used the TB_Barricades limiter quite heavily, I am impressed by how much you can turn it up without changing the character too much (compared to eg L2), perhaps i am biased by it being a Dutch product Wink

Anyway, thanks for your listening! Looking forward to taking on other mixes.

Messages In This Thread
the Brew - What I Want, mixed by Mange - by mange - 11-01-2013, 01:38 AM
RE: the Brew - What I Want, mixed by Mange - by asperine - 19-01-2013, 10:01 AM