Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You are the one - yet another mix!!
(30-04-2014, 03:23 PM)HbGuitar Wrote: Hi lydkjell, nice sounding mix.

two small points; 1) quite a lot of hiss during acoustic intro - maybe bleeding through from open drum mics, or bass. 2) Vocals seem a bit distant - not sure if its because you've added reverb, or whether the level is a little bit low.

Cheers

Hi and thanks for your comments!

Your are right about the hiss, I did not pay much attention to it, and I should have. I'll experiment with muting the other channels and open them when they start playing.

I think most of the hiss comes from the acoustic after a lot of added highs, and the fact that it is 5 db higher during the intro than when the band comes in. And of course the accumulated hiss from the rest of the channels...

I am not sure I agree with you on the distant vocals, the reverb added on the vocals is really deep in the mix and short & descrete and is there to create space and "air", not reverb in the usual sense...
Actually, all instruments are sent to the same reverb at the same level except the synth that that has a lot more of the reverb, to create more of a room and a "stereo feel", and the hammond, bass and cymbal that has no reverb at all.

As for vocal levels, they does'nt seem too low in the mix when I listen to it here at home, neither on my A7s in the mancave or on my tiny genelec 6010s in the livingroom.
I agree that the vocals are "in the mix" and not floating on top, but in my view vintagerock vocals should not be floating on top but "struggeling" a little. That gives the mix, for some reason, more energy to me...

Maybe they are struggeling a bit to much in this mix so I'll add a dB or two on the vocals and lower the reverb a tad and see what happens!

I'm in a learning prosess right now so any feedback is good feedback!

So, again, thanks for your comments, I appreciate it!

Messages In This Thread
You are the one - yet another mix!! - by lydkjell - 28-04-2014, 03:39 PM
RE: You are the one - yet another mix!! - by lydkjell - 04-05-2014, 09:37 AM