Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Street Noise - Revelations
Hey John, better late than never I s'pose...

You really cleaned the tracks up, huh? I'm really impressed, this is a CLEAN restoration if I've ever heard one. Good job Big Grin.

On the topic of brightness/darkness (I went for a brighter mix, myself, but your vision is nice on the ears, too) I have a few simple suggestions you could try if you still have the project file... if not, there's still a lot of good conservation to be held on the topic, maybe? And I'd appreciate hearing your views on my suggestions whether or not you'd want to try them Smile I think the overall brightness of the mix could be enhanced really just by brightening up a few tracks that are a smidge over-dark for my taste... mainly the organ and the vocals. I dunno how many of my mixes you've listened to but if it's been more than a couple you've probably noticed I maybe overuse parallel distortion for mix brightening, but an overdriven hammond sounds SO GOOD to me.. if your goal is to tease out a bit more in the upper ranges, P.D. on the organ bus highpass filtered up into the 1 khz range would help. And for the vocal, to my ears it just sounds like it wants a somewhat liberal low shelving cut in the low mids... volume match and it's probably a hot ticket. A similar but slightly more conservative strategy might liven up the guitars a bit, too, if you like the other parts where they are but want some more air. I actually used a low mid cut and top end shelving boost like HB suggested and liked the result a lot.

I'm a bit of a reverb-head Tongue so for aesthetic reasons I think more wetness would be good, but I liked it more for creating high end enhancement and enhancing the already pleasant room sound on the recordings than for any real artistic purpose.

Great job, john!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pedaling Prince Mix: Street Noise - Revelations - by pauli - 01-05-2014, 02:15 AM