Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You are the one - yet another mix!!
(28-04-2014, 03:39 PM)lydkjell Wrote: This is what I managed to make this song sound like.

Wow...

I gotta be honest. When I read this:

(28-04-2014, 03:39 PM)lydkjell Wrote: My approach was to do as little eq as possible, to let the sound of the recording determine how the mix was going to sound like, not try to make it sound big and "modern" but make the instuments fit together as they are.

I was thinking, "Oh boy... this can't end well..." I was thinking that because:

(28-04-2014, 03:39 PM)lydkjell Wrote: I found it difficult to mix multitracks that sound this "old", I don't know if it is tape deterioration over time or that recordings from the 70s just sounds like this . . .

These tracks are most definitely not what "recordings from the 70s . . . sound like." State-of-the-art 70s studio recordings, aside from the tape noise, frequently rival the best sound of today's recordings. These tapes have significant technical issues, most likely due to storage problems. That's why I wasn't expecting much from your mix; given how bad some of these tracks were, particularly the acoustic guitar track, I was of the opinion that these tracks could never sound good with "as little EQ as possible."

If you really only did "as little EQ as possible" here, then I was wrong. Big time.

This mix is, frankly, amazing. You brought nice definition out of that horrible acoustic guitar track, gave us a nice, fat, smooth bass sound, wonderful air on the guitars and vocals, nice energetic hammond... all in all, you made these troubled tracks into something truly magical. This was a delight to listen to. Big Grin

With most people who've tried to mix these tracks I've given detailed technical suggestions on how they might bring out some life in them. Clearly, you don't need my advice. Cool In fact, the only suggestion I'd make is you do a quick fade out right after the piano plays its last note; it ends a little abruptly. But as far as the rest of it is concerned? First rate work, man. Seriously. Cool

(28-04-2014, 03:39 PM)lydkjell Wrote: Please make a comment if you think I have succeded or not.

You have. Quite thoroughly. Big Grin

Any possibility I could get a copy of your 24-bit master of this...? Blush
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
You are the one - yet another mix!! - by lydkjell - 28-04-2014, 03:39 PM
RE: You are the one - yet another mix!! - by Pedaling Prince - 29-04-2014, 01:51 AM