Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voelund: Comfort Lives In Belief
(26-04-2014, 09:43 PM)Stu Wrote: Hi Pauli! Thanks for the critique! The reverb was used as a send effect. Please listen to the new MP3. I took out the reverb and raised the level of the bass. I had toyed with raising it before I posted the original MP3, but I decided to leave at as was. I also left the bus EQ on. I can remove it and resend the mix without it.

Thanks!
Stu

Hey Stu, no problem at all! I tell everyone else, you can always count on me for a detailed listen, so send me a PM if you want my take on any of your mixes and I'll be happy to oblige.

So without the reverb the clarity has improved a whole hell of a lot IMHO, which confirms my suspicion that -excessive- reverb was the primary culprit in the the masking issue. I like reverb a lot personally and used it on my mix, but be careful about using identical reverb settings on too many elements in the mix... be especially wary of the "predelay" setting, because carelessness in the predelay setting will turn a beautiful balance into an indistinct mass. Do some research on how to effectively use predelay to make things sound further or closer, but a quick synopsis is that the further away something is, the closer in time the echo will sound to the source... so as you turn up the predelay, you're effectively delaying the echo so as to make it sound further in time from the source, bringing it closer, and vis versa. For larger predelay times, I'd also suggest shorter reverb tails Big Grin

As for the bass, you've thickened things up a bit, but IMHO the ratio of the low mids to bass frequencies is still too high. The bass guitar track as recorded is a bit rich in the low mid but pretty weak in the bass IIRC, so I'd start there if you feel this is an issue.

Sounding better, Stu, keep mixing Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
Voelund: Comfort Lives In Belief - by Stu - 22-04-2014, 12:43 AM
RE: Voelund: Comfort Lives In Belief - by Stu - 26-04-2014, 09:54 PM
RE: Voelund: Comfort Lives In Belief - by pauli - 22-04-2014, 01:41 PM
RE: Voelund: Comfort Lives In Belief - by Stu - 26-04-2014, 09:43 PM
RE: Voelund: Comfort Lives In Belief - by pauli - 26-04-2014, 10:01 PM
RE: Voelund: Comfort Lives In Belief - by Stu - 29-04-2014, 04:38 PM
RE: Voelund: Comfort Lives In Belief - by pauli - 29-04-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Voelund: Comfort Lives In Belief - by Stu - 03-05-2014, 09:23 PM
RE: Voelund: Comfort Lives In Belief - by pauli - 03-05-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Voelund: Comfort Lives In Belief - by Stu - 03-05-2014, 10:12 PM