Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the line
(10-04-2014, 05:27 AM)hanibal005 Wrote: This song is just a matter of the right buss comp. settings. I disagree with your decision to make the mandolins so prominent even though they sounded very good. Vocals a bit cold. Really I think cold is a good way to describe the mix which is not what I'm feeling from the song. Its not a bad mix at all just very different to where I think the song should go. I liked that you didn't compress the crap out of the bass and liked the tone.

Hey man, thanks for your comment.

I rather agree with your opinion that the mix sounds cold, and I gave the project a quick look to see if I could figure out why.

From the looks of it, I'd say I was way too cavalier with the high pass filtering on many instruments... filtering out the low rumble and the uglies is always at the top of my FX chain, so if I blow it there, I'm probably not going to be able to resolve it later on. And by the time I get to "later on" my ears will probably already be used to hearing it that way, which is why I felt it sounded midrangey... I think cold is a better word to describe the quality I'm referring to, though. All the lovely, warm low mid content is scooped out here, which is a shame because the cellos have so much to offer in this department!

I'll give this one another go now that I've given you and Cefe's comments some time to incubate and we'll see what we see! Thanks for your observations Big Grin

BTW... the mandolins... is that an artistic opinion or do you think it's hurting the mix balance?
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
On the line - by pauli - 02-04-2014, 01:53 AM
RE: On the line - by Cefe - 05-04-2014, 06:58 PM
RE: On the line - by Cefe - 05-04-2014, 07:00 PM
RE: On the line - by pauli - 05-04-2014, 11:14 PM
RE: On the line - by hanibal005 - 10-04-2014, 05:27 AM
RE: On the line - by pauli - 10-04-2014, 10:44 PM
RE: On the line - by hanibal005 - 12-04-2014, 06:54 PM
RE: On the line - by Pedaling Prince - 20-06-2014, 02:33 AM