Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the line
Hey Cefe, thanks for listening and thoughtful comments. After taking an objective listen with your comments in mind, I'm forced to agree 100%.

I actually had a good laugh when you mentioned the kick and bass balanced because I think I spend more time balancing those two instruments than all other technical considerations in almost every mix I attempt, so I'm not surprised the rest of the kit suffered... perhaps some automated compression in the quieter elements, or maybe lowering the static volume of the lead vocal (you're right, it's way too loud) and rolling off highs a dB or 2 in the spots where the overheads are being masked?

It's not good the acoustic is disappearing though... that obviously needs to be the harmonic lynchpin of the tune... the minstrel and his guitar. Unfortunately I'm coming up empty on how best to resolve the issue. It may just be the I need to use less gain reduction in the compressors and use more automation to create space, or perhaps mult the drum kit to a separate mid/side based channel and push the kit more into the sides where the acoustic guitar is fighting for space in the center. Or maybe just a teeny bit of all these tweaks in combination.

Thanks again for your detailed listen and insight! I'll have to start practicing some finer automation work, even if it usually winds up keeping me up until 3 in the morning Tongue
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
On the line - by pauli - 02-04-2014, 01:53 AM
RE: On the line - by Cefe - 05-04-2014, 06:58 PM
RE: On the line - by Cefe - 05-04-2014, 07:00 PM
RE: On the line - by pauli - 05-04-2014, 11:14 PM
RE: On the line - by hanibal005 - 10-04-2014, 05:27 AM
RE: On the line - by pauli - 10-04-2014, 10:44 PM
RE: On the line - by hanibal005 - 12-04-2014, 06:54 PM
RE: On the line - by Pedaling Prince - 20-06-2014, 02:33 AM