Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Skelpolu - Human Mistakes
(07-03-2014, 12:26 PM)Skelpolu Wrote: It has a different feeling than the rest mixes I've seen here so far. It is quite true that it's supposed to have a sad-mood,
but it's more focused on reallife. The robotic voice is a contrast to the actual topic - that someone did something stupid
to his girl. The main point is that he apologizes for it, saying that he can't denie he did it, but he did not decide to do it either,
considering "we - are - just - human"!

Actually, I suspected that was your intent based on the content of the lyrics. Problem is in my younger days I was a major Star Trek geek and was a big fan of Astroboy as well. Between the prejudice of humans against robots in Astroboy and Data's wish to be more human in Star Trek: The Next Generation I have a predisposition to think in terms of compassion towards "artificial life," and the robotic voice singing these lyrics, to my mind, was more than just a contrast. It felt to me like the kind of emotional pain an artificial life form might experience if it fell in love with a human who dismissed it as a computer program or a machine.

My original approach was a deliberate attempt to make every instrument sound as artificial as possible, which is why I applied the unnatural "crunch" on the snare; I was trying to make it sound like it was artificially created, coming out of a small speaker or something. The only instrument I kept sounding natural was the piano; to that I applied a big, open reverb like a concert hall. That piano, to me, represents the humanity in the robot, his emotional core, the part of him that truly is human, the part of him he so desperately wants this woman to see.

However, as this is your work, I feel obligated to try to get it closer to your interpretation rather than my own. So:

(07-03-2014, 12:26 PM)Skelpolu Wrote: [T]ry getting a bit more highs than those mushy frequencies on the snare,
as well as some low-mids with a rather narrow Q. Also some more volume in both the Drums & Bass (see what I did there?), in comparison with the vocals, would be great!

All done here. I must say, while I personally preferred the snare sound I used for its contrast against the organic piano, I do like the effect of the increased bass; that sounds a lot better. Cool

(07-03-2014, 12:26 PM)Skelpolu Wrote: I also like how you auto-panned some of the instruments!

Yes. That an effect I enjoy using, particularly in electronic music (I may prefer acoustic but if I like something electronic, like AZPX's work, I'll do it Big Grin). Glad you like it! Smile

So. Thoughts on this attempt?

.m4a    Human MistakesA.m4a --  (Download: 12.12 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pedaling Prince Mix: Skepolu - Human Mistakes - by Pedaling Prince - 10-03-2014, 01:55 PM
My Interpretation - by Pedaling Prince - 12-03-2014, 02:07 AM