Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Remember December - C U Next Time - Domino's mix
OK, I'm back with my version 2! I spent a lot of time editing the tracks before doing a rough mix. I realigned all the harmony vocals and extended the tails on the guitar parts so they faded more consistantly. I then had to manually create the floor tom track by dropping and scaling samples. I also copied parts of Tom 2 to a new Ride Bell track and just deleted the parts where neither a tom or the ride was playing.

I started the mix from the overheads, paying close attention to where I panned the rest of the drum kit so they were as tight as I could hear. From there it was creative choices on placing everything else. I eq'd the guitars trying to lift a different section of the low to upper mid area to separate them in the mix, I used a saturator rather than a compressor on them.

There's quite a bit of automation on to get various effects, mostly subtle stuff, like turning down the reverb to make the stutter clearer just before the "I give you the needle". I whiz the pan back and forth between the shouts to vary the direction of the ping pong echo.

Anyway, apart from getting the singer to rerecord the "pressure" section I can't think of a way I can improve this. Hopefully some better trained ears can give me some suggestions Smile

Thanks to Moonwrist, bmullen and takka360 whose mixes I used for reference along with "Runaway" by "Halo Friendlies" and "Hanayome" by "Inugami Circus Dan".

Edit: I decided I wasn't making good use of the space in the r1 mix, and fixing that led to a different approach to mixing the guitars. That led to eq and level adjustments and fixing up a few other things. I was happy with r2, but decided to redo the mastering stage (which I'm clueless about) and did an A B test with an r3.

I liked the r3 three one better and tweaked a few more things to get to this latest version.

.mp3    Remember December - CU Next Time_v2_r1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.7 MB)

.mp3    Remember December - CU Next Time_v2_r3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.7 MB)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Remember December - C U Next Time - Domino's mix - by Domino - 01-03-2014, 11:05 PM