Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Signs - voelund Now with a listenin test you should participate in :-)
Hello Voelund,

I have two totally separate thoughts on this mix. First, I very much like the totally different approach you took with the song--almost sounds like a completely different one, by a different group, in a different genre. The vocal effect, while quite heavy, is nonetheless very fitting for the sound you've created. So, as to originality and going for something different, you win! (Didn't you hear, we're having a contest? lol)

With that said, I think the overall mix is a little too bassy and warm/dull in tone. Some people mentioned the guitar being too loud in the chorus, but frankly, I think they are perfect and perhaps it is just because they contrast the rest of the mix significantly. However, that contrast doesn't stand out to my ears as a negative; in many ways it almost makes it seem as if you intentionally dulled down the mix overall but still create great separation.

If I were to select any song(s) by a well known, professional engineer to use as an example of the "dullness," it would probably be Flood, who mixed many a U2 song in the day. The Achtung Baby album comes to mind (check out the song "Lemon"; I'm sure you can find it on Spotify). His mixes were always way quieter and warmer than anything else commercial out there, yet they still were mixed appropriately, if that makes any sense. In the case of your mix, I think the warmth is a bit much, with the bass being a bit too heavy in that regard as well.

I'd say a pretty good job, but could use some overall tweaking. Definitely kick ass on going for the "different" thing.

grizzy

PS: On a completely separate note, I saw a song in the list of downloads by none other than a "Voelund." Is that you?!

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Signs - voelund - by thedon - 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM
RE: Signs - voelund - by Voelund - 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM
RE: Signs - voelund - by takka360 - 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM
RE: Signs - voelund - by juanjose1967 - 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM
RE: Signs - voelund - by Voelund - 01-10-2013, 06:36 PM
RE: Signs - voelund - by Voelund - 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM
RE: Signs - voelund - by Voelund - 01-10-2013, 08:15 PM
RE: Signs - voelund - by Voelund - 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM
RE: Signs - voelund Now with a listenin test you should participate in :-) - by grizwalter - 31-01-2014, 03:06 AM