Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching Up Mix, from Scottsdale, USA
Thanks for listening Richard. Agreed, this vocal take is very different from the others. I like it, it sounds stronger and more bluesy and heartfelt to me. I did multiple things to it, desser, compression, parallel compression, and some tape saturation on the Chorus section. I also used a medium longish reverb and the Ocean Way plug in to add some space. It is very subtle just to expand the air around the vocal and to create a feeling that you are in the room with her and she is singing directly to you.

As far as some sounds punching through harder, I think I can see what you mean. I based the approach on the whole Abby Road, old school, organic thing they talked about in the article and envisioned it more like the old records where the music as a whole is supporting the vocal. In modern mixes we always want to pump of the kick and snare, layer heavy guitars, etc. I like that sound but here I felt like the song was best suited by not creating competition between the instruments and the vocal. Having said that I might want to go back now and see what happens if I look to punch through more of the instruments

thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Catching Up Mix, from Scottsdale, USA - by SteveG - 25-01-2014, 08:42 PM
RE: Catching Up Mix, from Scottsdale, USA - by SteveG - 30-01-2014, 04:29 PM