Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time mixing in this style
thanks for the detailed reply, dave, as well as your uncensored criticisms of my current (but not future) constraints. and I do mean that sincerely, because I try to look at all things and my life from every perspective when I can, even when it's slightly uncomfortable Big Grin

At any rate, to your questions:

many of my current constraints, especially with my DAW, equipment, and reference library are largely financial because I'm a young parent with VERY young children, so I have to do my mixing in an untreated bedroom with grotbox speakers, and I have to build my library and resources slowly, so right now I'm making do with what I have with both eyes aimed squarely at the horizon Big Grin

as for listening habits, I grew up listening to pre-digital era vinyl and own or have owned many pre-1995 CD releases as well as a good deal of vinyl, but I also listen to more modern recordings, too. probably about 50/50 if I had to put a number on it.

for placing the kick-drum in the mix, I used the reference material I mentioned to you previously, mainly the fugees' album "the score" because I felt many aspects of their sound were appropriate to this track. having said that, the drums in the track were presented as a loop, which felt balanced to me in comparison to the reference, so I didn't slice it up and separate everything, although that'd be pretty easy to do.

preferred genre is a tough question... I have broad tastes, but my favorite album of all time is "the layla sessions," but it would be a lot easier to describe genres or examples with in a genre that I don't like than otherwise.

frequency response of my "mixing space" is a mess. top floor of an apartment building, bedroom with a big old mattress in it, computer tucked in the corner next to the bathroom, right angles everywhere. I do my best to listen to several songs on the speakers I use to monitor before I start mixing to tune in to the bass traps etc., but given my situation and the hurdles, it's often easier for me to use headphones, and the pair I have has a pretty even, uncolored response from 40 Hz to 20 kHz, with a bit of a dip in the 20 to 40 Hz range.

yeah, I'm a musician Big Grin primarily guitarist, but also play keys, banjo, and a little bass.

thanks again for all the food for thought and the poigniant questions... I'm more well read on the topic than I'm properly equipped, so the inquiries are giving me more research ideas in the meantime, but I'm eager for your response.

cheers!
pauli
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
First time mixing in this style - by pauli - 10-01-2014, 02:32 AM
RE: First time mixing in this style - by pauli - 14-01-2014, 05:06 AM
RE: First time mixing in this style - by pauli - 14-01-2014, 07:18 PM