Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Souls Moon - no plugins - Olli H
@ JO COMETA
Live system is certainly different situation because there one can have huge difference between soft parts and very loud parts. And furthermor, some great live musicians can do a very good "pre-compressions" by the way they use their microphones. Willie Nelson certainly has his reasons to turn his head in a certain way in loud words. Some great bluegrass bands can do a great live recording with just one microphone on the stage. The dance around that mic and change the balance by adjusting the distance to that one mic. So I agree with your friends idea of not using automatically eqs and compressors etc.

But the huge dynamic range of live situations just don't work with CDs. If one wants to listen CD in car, the dynamic range should be much narrower. Otherwise one cannot hear anything of the soft parts.

@ stoman
About mixing: I agree with Stoman that almost always in real life situations one must use EQ. If one happens to be multigrammy winning Al Schmitt with best microphones, best rooms, best studios, best ears and best experience, and one happens to be in charge of both recording and mixing, then on can follow his technique: "I use very little compression and very little EQ. I let the microphones do that."
http://www.bobbyowsinski.com/recording-e...cerpt.html

As I said earlier, I always try to do the quick rough mix without plugins (or with just a little bit of high passing), just to get acquainted with the song and natural sounds of the chosen instruments. So, at first I want to be guided by them, before I start to force them to my preconceptions about how they should sound. But certainly I'm not trying to do the final mix that way.

With this song the recording must have been done by a very good engineer, as the sound and the balance of the song came out quite nicely without any plugins. That's why I wanted to share also the rough mix.

Messages In This Thread
All Souls Moon - no plugins - Olli H - by Olli H - 11-12-2013, 04:04 PM
RE: All Souls Moon - no plugins - Olli H - by Olli H - 03-01-2014, 10:51 PM
RE: All Souls Moon - no plugins - Olli H - by ALX - 05-01-2014, 03:50 AM