Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Souls Moon - no plugins - Olli H
Official name is clip gain. It's available at least in ProTools. Probably also in other DAWs.

It's very practical tool, and it's not a plugin at all. It's before anything else. So also before any plugin. It can be used similarly as fader automation, but automation happens after the plugins.

In the attachment is an image what I did for vocals in last verse. Those small movements made the words better levelled with music. So now I don't have to use compressor to tame too loud words. I can adjust the compressor differently, as those couple of words won't drive the compressor insane. Or those couple of words won't end up sounding too compressed.

And it leaves me the real fader to be used as a way to balance the instruments. I don't like automation of faders in too early phase of the mix, because I like to move them. When I try to balance instruments, I like to close my eyes and just listen what the fader movement does.

Of course when the mix begins to have the sound I like, then I use also fader automation to some spots.

Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
All Souls Moon - no plugins - Olli H - by Olli H - 11-12-2013, 04:04 PM
RE: All Souls Moon - no plugins - Olli H - by Olli H - 16-12-2013, 09:15 PM
RE: All Souls Moon - no plugins - Olli H - by ALX - 05-01-2014, 03:50 AM