Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ferryboat Men- Wind of Gypsy Moor
@Francis. Thanks, man, for the comment. I can almost feel the love oozing out of you Smile by listening to my sucky mix on multiple systems to come to that conclusion. Nobody ever did that. Sometimes being able to recognize the bad to avoid is also a good thing too, you know. And it's much quicker and more efficient if someone just points it out for you. Sure, man. I'll fix whatever you think is wrong that I can understand and agree. Some, if not most, go right over my head. Those prob will be unresolved for the time being until I understand more.

For example, "you have a TruePeak of + 1 dB (while it should be negative)," correct me if I am wrong (quite often actuallySmile), and according to the good lord, if you hit over 0 you will create digital distortion and the distorted signal must be audible (how else can we determine that, right?), unless, I guess, it's so brief that the ears have trouble detecting it. If that is the case, signal is distorted but not audible, the question becomes: do we really care? or better yet should we care? I ask bc that can only mean my mix is distorted, at least at some places, and must be audible, that I missed. Tbh, I do not detect that. If you can be more precise in location and detail, I may be able to learn something new from your comment. That's the idea, right? For me to learn something from you.

And another one: and a loudness of only 3.8 LU which explains (partly ) the really compressed side and without any dynamics of your mix. That one completely went over my head. I don't understand why 3.8 ("only" told me I should have more) LU explains the behaviors of the compression and dynamics. Can you elaborate? If this is relevant to my mixing skill, I am interested in knowing more about it. I don't see the relationship tho your comment implied there may be one.

The gist of your critique, I gather, is: guitar too loud. Vox too low. Toms not wide enough. Mix too rock-ish. Less compression. They don't sound too scary to me Smile. I love this song. I don't mind doing it over and over until I get it right. That's the idea, right?

Thanks for the time, man.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ferryboat Men- Wind of Gypsy Moor - by SonicTramp - 06-05-2024, 11:27 AM