Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Roses RJRMIX
Hi!

Yeah mix 3 is much, much better. I still think you might be able to go further though!

My main problem is that I do really like that Telefunken mix! If it helps, the things that stand out to me are:

- The dynamics and delicate nature of the drums gently underpinning everything.

- The dynamics in the vocals. They are not having to fight or punch through against anything as such, so they don't really need to be pinned to a fixed level with compression. For me the vocal dynamics really add to the apprehensiveness and sensitivity of the lyric.

- The natural dynamics of the vocals and playing really adds to the verse/chorus transitions. This can be missed with a little too much compression I think?

- The tone of the piano. It's more sort of lower midrangy, than bright. It doesn't fight with the vocals, isn't standing out as a main feature as such for the whole song, and it's supporting the vocals.

Most of the Telefunken mixes seem to have that knack of keeping things present, whilst also retaining the tone and dynamics of the live performance. As I mentioned before, it's really not easy.

It's also important to note that I sometimes head off in the wrong direction on mixes too. For me it's kind of my number one frustration really. Some tracks I find the direction immediately obvious, others perhaps not so. It's also not always clear from the Library mixes as to the right direction either - as some of them can be a bit too smashed sounding for some reason, or have other issues.

I hope that gives some insight in to my way of thinking with this one?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
Dead Roses RJRMIX - by ERJEE - 10-03-2024, 03:28 PM
RE: Dead Roses RJRMIX - by mikej - 23-04-2024, 08:35 PM
RE: Dead Roses RJRMIX - by ERJEE - 24-04-2024, 09:24 AM
RE: Dead Roses RJRMIX - by filipandrei - 24-04-2024, 05:21 PM
RE: Dead Roses RJRMIX - by ERJEE - 24-04-2024, 05:42 PM
RE: Dead Roses RJRMIX - by mikej - 24-04-2024, 09:30 PM
RE: Dead Roses RJRMIX - by ERJEE - 25-04-2024, 09:40 AM
RE: Dead Roses RJRMIX - by mikej - 25-04-2024, 01:03 PM
RE: Dead Roses RJRMIX - by ERJEE - 25-04-2024, 01:48 PM