Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ferryboat Men- Wind of Gypsy Moor
(19-04-2024, 01:37 PM)Roy Wrote: I'll still say I like the centered (slightly panned or not) toms on this. I toyed with doing that myself. Doing so can kind of 'ground' the part and help the groove. When it's a busy pattern like this one wider panned toms can be a little distracting. Like in my mix now that I listen to it, lol. On a song with a few tom fills it can be cool to go wide.

While we should always double check the phase I don't think it'd matter that much in the end where the toms are panned because you're not really changing the distance between the mics at this point. They're as in phase as they're going to get regardless of panning. Sure you can flip the polarity and that might help or add some delay but panning won't change the phase relationship. Panning is just changing level not time. Unless I'm mistaken then feel free to correct me. That said, matching the placement of the toms in the stereo image to the overheads is a good practice. Though OHs are not infallible and aren't always placed for a stereo image of the drums.

Anyhoo. Sorry to rant. I''m go get my coffee now.

* I have to side with you on this. And second, with panning is NOT time related, phase is. I was going wide, as Shul suggested, but now after your explanation, Im gonna jump ship and pan them closer to the center. It makes sense, with the constant pounding, it's better for the toms to be anchored closer to the middle.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ferryboat Men- Wind of Gypsy Moor - by SonicTramp - 19-04-2024, 03:57 PM