Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notes About the Multitrack
Hi,

I think I get where you are coming from. Personally, I'd do both. I'm not a pro, so I suppose I shouldn't really be answering your question. Some thoughts that might help though:

- I feel the mix has got to at least match or ideally beat the library mix benchmark. If I don't reference, how will I know?
- The mix has to be able to fit in to current playlists and not sound worse than other mixes, so I have to reference other tracks.

- Referencing the library mix will give you some idea of direction, or at least give some general idea of intent of the artist I think?

If I really like the library mix, and don't think I'm good enough at mixing to be able to match it, then it's a real challenge to try and match it, let alone beat it. It can also be fun to try and work out how certain things have been done. It's also an opportunity to really work at listening skills.

- Do I really like the library mix, or is there one or two things I don't like, or things I want to change?
- Does the library mix match current trends?
- Are my own tastes and ideas actually better than the library mix?
- Do I really feel I know the genre well enough to go off and do my own thing with it?

- Is my mix too bright, too dark, drums too loud, vocals too loud, bass too loud, etc for the genre and current trends?
- Is the frequency balance of my mix way off because I've been mixing too long and I need a break?

If pro mixes that you know sound good start sounding a bit off, then this is a good sign your ears are tired and you need a break to reset.

If you don't reference against *something*, how do you know where your mix stands? Personally I don't know how anyone can mix without referencing!

I think these thoughts also apply to reviewing mix critiques too. How well does the critic know the genre, and how much listening to similar music has the critic done?

Hope that gives you some ideas to help you answer your question a little?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
Notes About the Multitrack - by RPHammon - 05-02-2020, 03:07 AM
RE: Notes About the Multitrack - by Mixinthecloud - 05-02-2020, 03:19 AM
RE: Notes About the Multitrack - by Dschaust - 24-08-2023, 03:22 PM
RE: Notes About the Multitrack - by mikej - 24-08-2023, 08:07 PM
RE: Notes About the Multitrack - by Dschaust - 25-08-2023, 03:46 PM
RE: Notes About the Multitrack - by mikej - 25-08-2023, 04:07 PM
RE: Notes About the Multitrack - by Vins - 27-12-2023, 10:16 PM