Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Full
Hi PO,
Sorry it turned out to be a book. I hope it helps you.

Listen to Peppermarks mix. Your cymbals sound phasey, that could be they are out of phase or they just suck. I can't remember but I will go back and post my mix of it soon.

If they suck then I can tell you what Peppermark did which will help your mixing, stayed tuned.....

I am an old guy and mixing back in my day was easier because you got tracks that were recorded right.

Today they are not recorded right because of two factors. One technology; No budget anymore for the record company so since the engineers aren't making much they get the placement right but don't spend much time on tuning, picking the right snare head and or snare drum for the record to mention a few things.
If you go to puremix and grab Daughtry's tracks it's not Over you will see the drums don't sound like the record.

Two, it is affordable to record with your computer so Musicians are recording it not Engineers so you get tracks that are not as desirable.

So now you fix it not just mix it which before we would just send the tracks back and say record it again if that happened.

So what you need is to replace via not enhance with many of these drums. Usually replace the snare and sometimes you may get toms that are able to be enhanced.

Most of these Overheads suck as well so you are going to have to use an overhead sample for the Snare sometimes, other drums not so much.

When the cymbals are unusable, I would trash the rooms and only enhance the overheads with manually putting in cymbals from a drum software. That is half the battle right there via drums. You then might have to make some fake room mics at that point. Check out Slate tutorials for more on that.

Now this is something you would charge extra for but most people get the cymbals decent however, they think they have to use the Overheads for cymbals only and that is wrong. You need the snare in those mics as all the mics, including toms sometimes, to make the snare sound great. so gating your toms fully is not always the answer.

Guitars if they have a DI ,which many have, use the DI to re-amp with a SIM.

If the bass just does not give you the full body like I believe this one may not, then I use ezbass to replace.

This is more work than anyone probably would want to pay for so they would probably just redo but if you are trying to make a good demo to get business, this is what you have to do.

It won't be as hard when you actually do it because you can work with people.

Messages In This Thread
RE: AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Full - by Markpianist - 06-04-2023, 05:03 PM