Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I tried to make things clearer
Quote:The battery is not bothering me. But I did an experiment for the first time: I limited the drum tracks to -5db before starting the mix. It was an experiment I wanted to do.

There's a mix I did on here somewhere where I put a limiter first on every track.  I don't think anyone noticed, but it's not really something I would recommend.  It was useful from a learning perspective though.  It is fun to experiment and try different approaches to things.

I've found that I don't tend to use limiting on individual tracks and buses much now.  If I do use it, it's to get a little bit more detail or lift out of a particular track, or to cut the odd annoying peak, if automation isn't appropriate.  I also find that I don't always use compression on the drum bus either.

I think compression might work better here on the drum bus though, rather than limiting?  I think the thing I feel I'm missing is the undulations and movement of the peaks of the kick and snare.  The drums feel perhaps a bit too flat on top to me, if that makes sense?  I think I feel I miss the interaction of the kick and snare with the other parts too, to some extent, and feel that perhaps it's losing a little bit of a sense of space?

Quote:The cymbal change in the intro bothers me. The song loses energy in the second part of the intro.

I didn't pick up on that.  It's always interesting finding out things that people pick up on that I don't.

Quote:I wanted to try some more effects, but I ran out of ideas.

I feel you put just enough in there and I think it works really well.  It didn't actually occur to me to add much to this one in that way.

Quote:As for the overall sound, I used some kane churko mixes as a reference.

Any particular tracks I should check out? I'm always interested in what other people are listening to.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
I tried to make things clearer - by @betoscunha - 14-01-2023, 04:19 AM
RE: I tried to make things clearer - by mikej - 15-01-2023, 11:20 PM
RE: I tried to make things clearer - by mikej - 16-01-2023, 07:51 AM
RE: I tried to make things clearer - by mikej - 17-01-2023, 01:11 AM