Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop and Rise - SG
Hi,

Happened to give this a few listens earlier today on earbuds and wanted to check on monitors before posting my thoughts.

Overall it's a good mix. I especially like the intro. Quite atmospheric - nice reverb on the guitars there. I feel most of the issues you mention can be fixed with a little targeted eq, as I suspect the issue is more down to eq rather than balance by and large. Saying that, it's worth thinking about when you think the drummer should hit the snare a little harder, and when the guitarist and bass player might put a little more emphasis in, and subtly automate that in too.

My thoughts are that a little (as in 1db or less) 2-4k might enhance the vocal clarity. Similarly A little 200-400 will bring the vocal closer. It might also help dipping these frequencies a touch (also by a db or less) on the guitar bus too. Similar sort of thing on the drum bus - try a little bus eq to bring out kick, snare (target low and top), etc, perhaps a touch more.

To make the drums more exciting, aside from the eq tip mentioned above, it might be worth experimenting with different reverbs on the rooms and snare. I can't remember which drum parts were included with the session, but you can sometimes add the excitement playing about with eq on the the room channel too to get different things poking out around the mix.

Looking at the overall frequecy balance of your mix, it seems a bit scooped in the 300Hz-3k region. A small but wide boost here on the master bus for me brings back quite a lot of body and excitement. Similarly you might wish to add a touch more air on the mix too, depending on taste.

I might possibly give this track another try myself as I feel my mixing has moved on a little since I originally gave this one a go.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Maybe you'll find something worth thinking about there... or not!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
Stop and Rise - SG - by SacredGroove - 26-10-2022, 01:26 PM
RE: Stop and Rise - SG - by mikej - 26-10-2022, 08:48 PM
RE: Stop and Rise - SG - by SacredGroove - 26-10-2022, 11:17 PM
RE: Stop and Rise - SG - by mikej - 27-10-2022, 01:15 AM
RE: Stop and Rise - SG - by SacredGroove - 27-10-2022, 04:33 PM
RE: Stop and Rise - SG - by mikej - 29-10-2022, 07:53 PM