Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daimon B: 'Pain Remains'
(08-10-2022, 01:43 AM)Shul Wrote: new mix is a major improvement over your last mix!!! that's good work man.

Not liking your own mix the next day happens to all of us xD Listening to my mix I don't like it that much but that's what came out. You just gotta go with it and perhaps mix it another day
from scratch.

here are the stems of my mix in major groups. The tip that basically helped me when learning was mixing in groups. Get the drums, gtrs, etc in buses and mix each one individualy to good balance. Then go to the next ..etc. Once your major groups are somewhat balanced, bring up all the groups together and see how it sounds.. from there is fine tuning. I feel like many people
try to mix all tracks at once.. and they boost and boost and boost when they think they can't hear a specific part, Truth is not every single track is supposed to stand out. We have to learn to
differentiate between "goo stand out tracks" like a solo or "good back filler track" like cymbals, pads, sometimes bass.

anyways.. feel free to compare your sections with mine and see how different they are. Pay attention to eq, and amount of fx.Sometimes people tend to put way too much fx on tracks expecting it to "stand out" and in reality some fx are mean to be back fillers.
That's awesome man, thanks for posting those stems. I'll see if I can emulate.

Yeah, man. Thanks for the tips. Imo, boosting EQ should be the secondary step and should do it with care, more so than cutting because of a few reasons. First, because cut is to make better (someone said that and I agreed). When we cut (annoying frequencies) in EQ, the intention is to make it sound better while preserving the original untouched, isn't it? Second, cut will prevent masking sometimes even before it happens. Third, cut, at the very least, keeps the whole mix cleaner than boost. Of course listening skill plays a major part in this business. One simply cannot perform if listening skill is not up to par. And, unfortunately, cutting is harder to hear than boosting. So, perhaps, choosing the path with the least resistance some go for the latter. But rest assured that we all will learn both what to do and what not to do in our own pace. I am guilty of whatever you described many times over and annoy the crap out of everybody, but isn't it how we learn, clumsy at first but in time get better? When I run into a mix like that now I'd probably say something about it and offer the way I'd do it and pray to the gods that I don't rub him/her the wrong way by doing so. But that's just my opinion. Yours may differ. Feel free to add more about it to make it more convincing or your opinions if it's different. I am here to learn from you guys.

Thanks for the positive comment on my last mix. It seems my hearing is improving, too slow tho, but improving. That's great to...hear! Smile. It'll get better, you'll see. I spent only a couple hours on it, test drive, so to speak Smile. I got too excited (first time hearing the gate in action, yeah, actually hear it) and I saw your post so I posted the last mix. Now that I have your stems and approval of the last mix, things seem promising. Like I said clumsy at first but better with time. Thanks for taking the time to do all that. I appreciate the effort and hope I can return the favor some day when I have a chance.

Messages In This Thread
Daimon B: 'Pain Remains' - by SonicTramp - 29-08-2022, 06:41 AM
RE: Daimon B: 'Pain Remains' - by brady85 - 31-08-2022, 06:41 PM
RE: Daimon B: 'Pain Remains' - by SonicTramp - 31-08-2022, 08:48 PM
RE: Daimon B: 'Pain Remains' - by brady85 - 31-08-2022, 09:07 PM
RE: Daimon B: 'Pain Remains' - by SonicTramp - 31-08-2022, 09:56 PM
RE: Daimon B: 'Pain Remains' - by DaumantasB - 31-08-2022, 07:42 PM
RE: Daimon B: 'Pain Remains' - by SonicTramp - 31-08-2022, 09:33 PM
RE: Daimon B: 'Pain Remains' - by SonicTramp - 03-09-2022, 01:07 AM
RE: Daimon B: 'Pain Remains' - by SonicTramp - 27-09-2022, 08:10 AM
RE: Daimon B: 'Pain Remains' - by Shul - 29-09-2022, 08:24 AM
RE: Daimon B: 'Pain Remains' - by SonicTramp - 07-10-2022, 10:45 AM