Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starnes & Shah - Prodigal Son
I dunno. I've heard better recordings....

My gut reaction is that it feels a bit aggressive and mid-rangy. At first, it feels like the main guitar sets the tonal standard and other elements seem to build off of and fight it. A softer guitar tone could allow the vocals to also be a bit softer. The guitar set the stage by pulling its knife out and now there rest of the band has to open their switch blades and the conversation is just a bit too tense. I think this also hurts the overall dynamics. The song is pretty basic, rhythm wise, and I think the dynamics of the song could be exploited more to balance out the simplicity.

After a second listen I think that maybe the snare actually set the tone. It feels like you went fairly bright like a normal rock snare but the drums were played with bundles which is a softer tone. At least until the outro which is snares. Seamless edit! But I wonder if that aggressive snare sound influenced the guitar which influenced the vocals and now we all need stitches.

Since there's so much midrange/ upper mids I think the bass could, in terms of this mix, occupy the lower mids and fill that section out more and make it feel a little less top heavy. There just isn't much going on in that space.

I think the vocal(s?) could have a little more verb/space. I think the edits around the vocals are a bit choppy so just some extra temporal depth could help and make them feel a little 'lazier' and casual. As pretentious as that may sound.

I wish there were more of the cymbals but I know it's difficult considering the lack of mics. You swapped the perspective to audience pov and for some reason that throws me off.

I think that's it. It feels a bit more aggressive that it might need to be. If that makes sense.

Messages In This Thread
Starnes & Shah - Prodigal Son - by mikej - 21-07-2022, 06:02 PM
RE: Starnes & Shah - Prodigal Son - by Roy - 21-07-2022, 07:38 PM
RE: Starnes & Shah - Prodigal Son - by mikej - 22-07-2022, 01:08 AM
RE: Starnes & Shah - Prodigal Son - by Roy - 22-07-2022, 01:21 AM
RE: Starnes & Shah - Prodigal Son - by mikej - 22-07-2022, 02:03 PM
RE: Starnes & Shah - Prodigal Son - by Roy - 22-07-2022, 02:30 PM
RE: Starnes & Shah - Prodigal Son - by mikej - 24-07-2022, 09:02 PM