Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Brian C Cai Fei Hong-never let you go- Sonictramp
Hi!

Woohoo!

I think you pretty much got it sorted now Smile. The -4db down mix is sounding really very good here. Great work! The low end sounds fine here.

Yeah it can be frustrating but as you can see in this thread (and have mentioned) you are not alone in this, and reading through there's some great real world practical advice in this thread from others that have been in exactly the same position.

Regarding headphones - for me I decided to use my monitors as the master reference (I have a fixed volume level set that I can go back to also). The monitors go much lower freq wise than any headphones I have. My room is problematic but I just get on with it. Any issues I hear on headphones or other speakers I go back to my monitors and figure out how to both hear and correct the issues there as best I can.

Check out the 14 minute mark on the video I've linked below - as they are talking about mixing on headphones, they talk from the perspective of having the headphones as the master reference, I do the same thing, but I use the monitors as the master reference.

Headphones and earbuds I find are a useful mix check. I do have one pair of cheap studio headphones (AKG240 that I got for 30 quid from Amazon) that I found I can actually mix on and they translate to the speakers ok. I've got a couple of pairs of more expensive headphones that I discovered are actually quite useless for me and I found that they actually caused me quite a lot of problems, despite being highly rated. My point is you got to find out what works for you, as we are all different.

To be honest I feel it is a case of just learning and keeping in mind how whatever system you happen to be mixing on translates to other systems.

Here's a pretty good recent video on the puremix channel where Andrew and Fab are discussing mixing on headphones that is worth a watch. I recall what they discuss also makes sense from the perspective of mixing on speakers too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4YuXNTCU2Y

Anyway, the main thing is that your mixes have got much much better, especially now your bass/low end issue is hopefully well on the way to being solved.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brian C Cai Fei Hong-never let you go- Sonictramp - by mikej - 30-09-2021, 11:03 PM