Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Brian C Cai Fei Hong-never let you go- Sonictramp
(29-09-2021, 11:40 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

I've just listened to mix 5. 

Well, for what it's worth - the good news is that I think the mix is really quite good aside from the bass issue.  So lets see if we can figure out what the issue is between us.

I've attached a file, roughly level matched to -6db with a section of your mix_5 first, then a section of my mix.  In theory you should notice a big difference in the sub bass, around 60Hz.  Play the file in your DAW and check the frequency spectrum.  You should notice on a spectrum analyser that the low end more or less balances with the top end.

Now - Does the second half of the file sound like it has too much bass to you? Or not much different?

I have a couple of thoughts (I'll have another read back through this thread in a bit):

I assume the speakers do have bottom end from what you have been saying and from our previous discussions.

- You could be hearing too much bass in your current position in the room, so it sounds fine to you, but bass light to us.  You might be able to compensate for this by moving things around a bit, or perhaps by rolling off the bass on your speakers if you have a bass rolloff switch.  Might be interesting to know what you have these set to.

- You might not realise how much bass you can put in the mix around 60Hz (unlikely, but you never know - took me a while to figure it out).

I hope the attached file will be of some practical use anyway.

Cheers!
**Thanks for joining the conversation.

Yes, I can hear the differences. The latter part is not that much louder tho I noticed the differences in sound quality. The part is thicker and bassier, and volume seems to rise but not alarmingly. There is no change in my sitting position up till now.

I do have a roll-off switch which I left it at 0. I was thinking bc I have them far enough from the wall (~3 ft or a meter) to have to mess with. I can do -2dBs or -4dBs. I'll start with 2 then and see.

I did move around a bit. I found some places where there is no sound, other places are much louder. What I did was to avoid those extremes and sit where I could still hear the bass but not as loud/low. I am sitting around ~38% from the wall im facing, not intentionally but in safe place nevertheless.

I hope I give you guys enough info, cause without them, there is no help. Thanks

**I did a quick push on the bass to see if it's enough. I switched the bass rolloff from the HS8 to -4dBs. After that, the bass doesn't sound as loud thus allowing me to push it harder. (No EQ just straight up pushing the fader). Man, I hope this is it. The thought of having to do many many things I don't understand about acoustic to my room is killing me. If possible tell me in terms of dBs. Thanks

.mp3    Brian C Cai Fei Hong-neverletyougo-sonictramp_6.mp3 --  (Download: 6.98 MB)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brian C Cai Fei Hong-never let you go- Sonictramp - by SonicTramp - 30-09-2021, 12:19 AM