Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's the day
Hi Mikej. Speaking for myself and by myself (I think), I think mixing is like sculpting. One just needs to be patient and keeps chipping it away. In the mean time, one should always try to enhance one's skills needed for the job, in our case and most important, listening skill. As far as mixing decisions is concerned, I think as long as we get the masking problems settled (frequency balancing), the volume balance is more of a personal choice. Some songs would need the kick to be louder, leading, some would leave the space for the bass instead, for example. The problem, the biggest for me, is to know what frequency is in excess while listening (to everything) and what instruments to cut and how much. That is the skill I need to develop, and the only way to get it is to practice. There's no way around it. I have tried many ways to avoid the task but failed every single time. All of us just have to learn how to mix in context. And a nice set of speakers will help. I have heard more things I did to the mix in a month than in the last two years of trying with headphones.

Btw, I have a way of practice that seem to work for me. I want to share it here if anyone wants to try.

This works on any move on processing (EQ/comp). For example, if I think I should cut a bit at 2.5k on the guitar to help the vocal cut thru I would do so, but then I would put my mouse on the bypass button and click furiously until I can't tell whether the plug is engaged or not, while keeping my eyes shut. Then I would carefully listen to the changes (the guitar should sound a bit duller and the vocal should shine a bit more when the EQ is engaged and vice versa when not) and guessed whether the plug in is in bypass or engaged when I clicked in and out. All the while keeping my eyes shut. Rinse and repeat until I am sure I can hear the difference and guess whether it's engaged or not correctly. Sometimes I even hear the top end of either the snare or the kick cuts thru at the same time. That's them reacting to my EQ move on the guitar. And you know what, it's wonderful to hear the reaction, pleasant or not. It's not the point. And since then, the hunt begins. I don't know how long it would take, but I wish there comes a day when I can hear the reactions without so much effort and can hear more than just a couple instruments at a time. I am taking my time, and I am listening Smile.

Anyway, I worked on the song more and try to enhance it one way or another, not so much to make it better but rather to make it less ugly Smile. I thought the snare was a little too aggressive and compete with the voice, a little shave on the hi-mid seemed to tame it down. Most of time spent on the bass. Heavy cuts on the hi-mid, I thought the bass was too mid-rangy, more cuts on same range on every bass track. The cut gave the kick a bit more presence and a little more meat. Re-balanced all the guitars, rough time for me. Over all, I think the mix is fuller, a bit louder, and wider than the last. But who knows what other gremlins lurk underneath. I'll find out, won't I? Thanks for the listen.

And yeah, people, have a heart and tell me how it sounds in your system. I have been eating criticisms for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In the beginning it gave me diarrhea, but after a while (years) it just slid right off (desensitized), in other words, "sticks and stones may break my bones..." so, no, I don't mind so long as it is done with good intention. We're all here to learn, right? Thanks. Beside, it's fun to participate in a discussion that involves what we love to do. Who knows what a human mind can conjure up? I am sure there are some clever tricks out there that some of us can learn.

.mp3    todayistheday-sonictrampmix-newsetup_15.mp3 --  (Download: 10.2 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Today's the day - by SonicTramp - 24-07-2021, 07:29 AM
RE: Today's the day - by SonicTramp - 27-07-2021, 06:49 AM
RE: Today's the day - by NotJack - 28-07-2021, 10:23 PM
RE: Today's the day - by SonicTramp - 30-07-2021, 07:33 AM
RE: Today's the day - by mikej - 30-07-2021, 11:01 PM
RE: Today's the day - by SonicTramp - 01-08-2021, 06:21 AM
RE: Today's the day - by SonicTramp - 08-08-2021, 08:28 AM
RE: Today's the day - by Monk - 17-09-2021, 08:18 AM
RE: Today's the day - by mikej - 08-08-2021, 08:33 PM
RE: Today's the day - by SonicTramp - 14-08-2021, 09:30 AM
RE: Today's the day - by mikej - 20-08-2021, 04:35 PM