Poll: Do you like this mix?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, it's great!
50.00%
1 50.00%
It's pretty good!
50.00%
1 50.00%
It' almost there.
0%
0 0%
Maybe you should find another hobby.
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daddy D Practice Mix
Hi,

This mix is big, loud, clear and slamming, yet somehow this mix is not quite working for me yet. I think the issue is that it just doesn't quite seem to gel as a mix somehow? It's not that the individual parts are bad though, as such. Far from it. I'm not quite getting much of a sense of a band in a room playing live somehow. Maybe it's that I just don't feel that every part should be hitting me over the head quite so much perhaps?

I've opted to not to pick a poll option. I certainly don't think you should be looking for another hobby though. Almost there, perhaps.

My initial though was that maybe it's just that everything was too slammed for my tastes. I feel that the frequency balance of the parts are ok, it's maybe more the overall dynamics and spacial positioning that is the issue for me.

The drums just feel too wide to me in context with the rest of the mix. (I also suspect the toms might be panned opposite to the overheads too perhaps, not sure). Along with the really wide drums, to me it feels that there is quite a lot occupying the middle of the mix in contrast to that. The wide synth bass feels a bit odd - was this to get it out the way of the now busy middle? To be honest I don't quite understand the panning choices I suppose.

For me I visualise drums at the back, singer in the middle, and everything else panned to taste I guess. Guitar might be too upfront too.

I feel this could be a great mix with a bit of rework, and some regard to spacial positioning and balance. It might just be that we have a difference of vision for the track of course.

Well, there's my critque and thoughts. More importantly what do you think?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
Daddy D Practice Mix - by MictheRoom - 23-08-2021, 09:05 PM
RE: Daddy D Practice Mix - by mikej - 24-08-2021, 08:45 PM
RE: Daddy D Practice Mix - by MictheRoom - 24-08-2021, 09:20 PM
RE: Daddy D Practice Mix - by mikej - 24-08-2021, 11:01 PM
RE: Daddy D Practice Mix - by MictheRoom - 24-08-2021, 11:35 PM
RE: Daddy D Practice Mix - by mikej - 25-08-2021, 12:12 AM
RE: Daddy D Practice Mix - by MictheRoom - 25-08-2021, 03:46 AM
RE: Daddy D Practice Mix - by mikej - 25-08-2021, 09:57 PM