Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workshop on this song
Hi!

Interesting post.

Overall I find the mix pretty good.  I think getting the stereo balance right is the main challenge with this one.

I do have some thoughts and observations for discussion as I listen:

The vocal gives the impression of leaning a little too much to the right.  I'm guessing this is to help balance with the guitar, but to me this sounds a little strange and disconcerting.  Not sure if a little more space needs to be made frequency wise in the guitar too, to give a little more room for the vocal to pop out a bit?  Maybe similar with the snare and the vocal also.  Not much though, just a touch so the vocal stands out a bit more.

I feel the cello could be panned out even further compared to the guitar.  It would perhaps make the room feel a little less small and also give a bit more separation frequency wise too.  If I close my eyes and try to imagine the space - to me the Cello feels a perhaps a little too crammed in between the drums and the singer, so to speak.  The left/right movement with the kick and snare feels a little odd too, balance wise for me., as it is giving my ear too many directions to move in, so to speak I think.  I find that moving things like that just one or two percent off centre can be enough to give room for the vocal.

Your mix has prompted me to think a little about the balance issue - 

In my mix I recall that I visualised the singer in the middle, guitarist on one side. cellist on the other and the drums at the back.  This does mean though that the balance doesn't get resolved until the cello comes in, which is quite a wait, but figured it would be ok. 

It occurs to me that it might be better to imagine the singer playing the guitar, cellist on one side, and the drummer at the back.  The guitar could be made more stereo using reverb, etc  (or maybe both mic's - as I opted to use only one of the guitar mics).  The cello might not sound so strange off to one side.  I guess panned reverbs might be an option too.  I might have to revisit this one some time and experiment.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
Workshop on this song - by sthauge - 22-06-2021, 08:20 PM
RE: Workshop on this song - by Monk - 24-06-2021, 11:25 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by sthauge - 01-07-2021, 11:41 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by Dangerous - 04-07-2021, 12:43 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by sthauge - 04-07-2021, 01:37 PM
RE: Workshop on this song - by mikej - 05-07-2021, 12:54 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by novalix - 07-07-2021, 02:34 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by Roy - 07-07-2021, 02:50 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by mikej - 07-07-2021, 02:56 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by sthauge - 08-07-2021, 04:27 PM