Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workshop on this song
(04-07-2021, 12:43 AM)Dangerous Wrote: I enjoyed this one sthauge.  It's always great to have a detailed dialogue detailing the objectives within the mix.  It gives much more to listen to. 

Hi Dave.

Thank you for listening and commenting. I totally agree that detailed description and comments on "what and why" is important. Everybody have something to learn, also the pros. I've given some thoughts on your comments below. 
---------
Just wondering if there is too much stereo width to the vocal though? 

I have made a tiny stereo separation on the vocal. Not because I think that it need to be wider, but just to give it some more life and fullness. The spread is as minimum I thought it could be without being mono again. Anyway it's audible.
---------
With the guitar alone it works quite well but for me the rest of the accompaniment misses out a bit.  The Cello part (I assume it's a cello) feels too mono and a little too small in comparison?   Not sure, it's hard to put my finger on it. 

I might help out a bit here. One important factor our ear and brain use for measuring distance, air and separation it's how it perceive the transients. The guitar have a lot of transients, the cello have not.  This mean that it's easy for us to place a guitar in a stereo field and separate it from other instruments a song. The cello though, is far more complicated. It's panned equal to the guitar(see attached mixer setup), but you do not get the same separation and  air as the guitar. So I guess that's the cause of the more mono sounding of the cello. It's also a challenge to level a instrument as a cello due to little transients. Either it is good noticeable, but tend to overlay other part of the mix or it somewhat disappear in the mix. I used a lot of time on this, but it was hard to get to where i want it to be.  
--------
Regardless a lovely mix and well done.
Dave

Thank you for kind words.

Steinar 
See comments in text over

PS. The picture shows my mixer setup in my DAW. See the guitar and cello panning.

Thumbnail(s)

Harrison Consoles Mixbus/Mixbus32C 8.0 DAWs, Kubuntu Linux 64 21.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM [email protected], 12 Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, 418.226 prop. driver. Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface

Messages In This Thread
Workshop on this song - by sthauge - 22-06-2021, 08:20 PM
RE: Workshop on this song - by Monk - 24-06-2021, 11:25 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by sthauge - 01-07-2021, 11:41 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by Dangerous - 04-07-2021, 12:43 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by sthauge - 04-07-2021, 01:37 PM
RE: Workshop on this song - by mikej - 05-07-2021, 12:54 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by novalix - 07-07-2021, 02:34 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by Roy - 07-07-2021, 02:50 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by mikej - 07-07-2021, 02:56 AM
RE: Workshop on this song - by sthauge - 08-07-2021, 04:27 PM