Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Ride: 'Deny Control' BRUTAL!
I couldn`t listen to your mix on my usual setup because I´m on the road atm. But on the other side, a mix has to sound good on any system, so there`s that. Compared with V2, V1 sounds better on my setup. I like the energy, the guitars sound nice and full, drums are okay. The snare reverb doesn`t sound "right", it`s a bit too "artificial", but I love the fact that I can hear some of the ghost notes. My biggest problem with your mix isn`t the balance or too much 200hz, but the fact that some of the nice little details like the dive bomb on the guitar, the vocal solo or the feedback before the Breakdown are not really in the spot that they need to be. Same goes for the main solo (it feels a bit lackluster and not as big and powerful as It should be) and most of the tom rolls. Those little musical gems help keeping a song fresh and interesting, and they deserve more attention from a mixer.

Do an automation pass and fix that stuff, and you will have a good and solid mix. I think that it`s more important to get the balance right and squeeze every bit of emotion out of a mix (via automation), but most of the people only look at the sonical issues and end up with a flat, lifeless mix. As an example, the breakdown isn`t especially hitting me like a truck in your mix. I`m not feeling it, it doesn`t have an impact, it doesn`t move me. You can compare your mix with Bedlams mix where this is handled better: https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=38889

You can create the same feeling by making the part before it smaller, panning the rhythm guitar more to the center and maybe even turn down the volume by 1-3 db (whatever feels right is right). The goal is to create tension. Add the feedback to bring in even more tension, and when the breakdown finally hits, both rhythm guitars are panned hard left and right again, making the breakdown sound big and wide. You can also raise the volume of the breakdown by 0,5 or even 1b so the limiter has to work harder to tame the song, making this part feel more "limited". Adjusting the volume of the verse, brigde and chorus throughout a song ("normal" verse, louder chorus, slightly louder 2nd verse, even louder 2nd chorus) is another old trick to add more excitement to a mix.

Messages In This Thread
Dark Ride: 'Deny Control' BRUTAL! - by supep - 27-05-2021, 07:33 PM
RE: Dark Ride: 'Deny Control' BRUTAL! - by supep - 29-05-2021, 06:34 AM
RE: Dark Ride: 'Deny Control' BRUTAL! - by MATW - 29-05-2021, 01:38 PM