Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gotta Love the Pop in this Song!
(12-10-2013, 06:37 PM)grizwalter Wrote: Not my style of music, normally. But I'd say when it comes to catchy, melodic hooks, Mr. James has it down.

I agree with that. Al James has done great job with this one. THis if tough genre, for you cannot hide behind guitar walls. In this kind of music the melody has to be perfect. I'm still suffering of the fact that I found myself humming this song in my head.

I listened your mix with headphones. Comments might be different if I could listen with my monitors.

Sounds good, overall balance seems to be ok.

I noticed that verses sound much better than chorus to me. Maybe the mastering limiter is just fine in verses but chorus hits it too hard. It might happen that little less of limiter and most of the problems I'm hearing would disappear.

- snare is almost inaudible in chorus, but just right in verse. Listen for example chorus around 0:45
- in verses bass sounds just right to me, but in chorus it somehow disappears. It feels like the compressor setting changes. Listen for example 0:50 area. Is the sound different or is there something masking it?My final guess is that the effect is caused by too heavy mastering limiter.
-Maybe strings and pads could use some hi-pass filter to give better room for the bass.
- is the effect in vocals good or bad? I'm not sure. Maybe little brighter vocals with the same effect could be just fine to my ears.
- 2:08 vocals become suddenly much louder.

Some background effects were very nice. If I remember correctly this song, you have made some extra work on that area.

I'd like to hear what would be the difference if you take away the limiter totally. It may happen that with one bypass-click you'll have a great mix.

Messages In This Thread
Gotta Love the Pop in this Song! - by grizwalter - 12-10-2013, 06:37 PM
RE: Gotta Love the Pop in this Song! - by Olli H - 12-10-2013, 08:42 PM