Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skyeez & The Whiteflies - Jump Across
Hey, thanks for checking it out.

Yeah I get what you mean.

I felt the DT vocals worked really well with the main vocal. The arrangement with the built in scene changes with all the different guitar pairs was really good. Yeah, there is at least one spot where the backing vox could do with a bump up...

Yeah, it could be bigger. I dig your mix, and I guess that would be the direction I might normally have attempted with this I think. This is kind of opposite to that really I suppose. I might try the telephone vox on the intro though. I only went as far as to mono the overheads.

I guess I don't usually feel a need to explain a mix as such... My idea with this, for better or worse, was to really concentrate on trying to get a really good balance and good tones. Let each part breathe and speak for itself and see where it ended up, and also trying that thing of not having everything as up front.

For a while I feel I have been leaning to much on over eq'ing and also reaching for the effects too soon, and kind of 'forcing' a mix if you like, without giving the tracks a chance, so to speak. Does that make sense? I am trying to do better in that regard, and think I somewhat succeeded here? I dunno, it's something I feel I needed to do and work on. I am finding you can do a lot with balance, rather than reaching for the eq first, Using compression for tone, etc...

I have just been mixing with eq. comp, and reverb and really concentrating on the balance and panning. I hope this holds up ok with regard to the library mix? When I got to this point I wasn't really feeling the need to add anything more in way of widening, delays, etc, and kind of tried to keep it sounding sort of cool I suppose.

I do feel I am maybe missing something with regards to the two overheads tracks though... Do you know what the set up might have been and what the idea with that is?

(Sorry for the essay!)

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
Skyeez & The Whiteflies - Jump Across - by mikej - 01-05-2021, 08:18 PM
RE: Skyeez & The Whiteflies - Jump Across - by mikej - 02-05-2021, 08:50 PM