Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Blue Bastards - Lights Out
V3..

One of my definitions of a “good mix” at both the subjective and objective level, is whether I can engage with the audio in a manner that doesn't cause me fatigue from an unbalanced spectral domain which fails to take into account the ear's non-linear characteristics for someone with unimpaired hearing.

Does this mixmaster meet that simple requirement?

No.

The screen grab attached shows an average and maximum spectral distribution (care of Voxengo Span) taken at just 0:07 seconds in. The highlighted part shown by a white line for the benefit of learners, details the hazard.  This range falls within the most sensitive region of a healthy human ear and needs careful consideration because of the consequences and significance. Any hype in this range is going to be received as “unpleasant”, some might even find it uncomfortable (women and children are especially vulnerable – it's biology).

Thankfully I didn't have my monitor device turned up for audition because this forum doesn't operate any Loudness Normalisation, so out of caution I always download and deploy ReplayGain to prevent myself being fooled by those who attempt to benefit from psychoacoustic advantages. Nevertheless, it was still “highly unpleasant” so I stopped listening at around 20 seconds in, not wishing to expose myself further to the unbalanced and over-biased spectral hype.

I will also mention that the bass synth part at this point, wasn't translating over my smallish speaker.

Thumbnail(s)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.

Messages In This Thread
Blue Bastards - Lights Out - by andreybenassi - 22-02-2021, 08:12 PM
RE: Blue Bastards - Lights Out [Pro Mixer] - by Monk - 27-02-2021, 12:19 PM