Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flags 54
great song really enjoyed mixing it, would love to hear some comments...critics all welcome

.mp3    flags 54.mp3 --  (Download: 10.02 MB)

First of all, it sounds to me as if you have 3dB more 350Hz than you really need -- it's making the tonality feel rather woolly. However, it's not a right-across-the-mix thing, I don't think. My biggest suspicions rest on the hand drums, which I can hear in the intro and at places like 1:17 as having a great deal of resonant ringing in that zone which can't be doing your mix clarity any good. Even if you want that stuff in the intro, I'd definitely recommend multing it to a different track with more controlled LF for most of the rest of the song.

The acoustic guitar sound is critical to this mix, but is rather poorly recorded -- three mics all catching rubbish sounds, if memory serves! As a result the pick noise is a bit excessive and there's a definite absence of real midrange information, and both those concerns carry into your mix for me at the moment. It's not easy to deal with, though, and if you've read my Mix Rescue article about this track, you'll see that I went through various conniptions to try to improve these issues -- with only a certain amount of success, it has to be said!

Maybe it's just me, but I do wish there was something in the way of delay on the "my love" high lines to give them a bit more expansiveness. The vocals are pretty well handled otherwise, though, I think.

Thanks for posting -- and well done for having a go at this one, which was is probably one of the more demanding of the Mix Rescue multitracks in the library!
(20-02-2013, 10:15 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: First of all, it sounds to me as if you have 3dB more 350Hz than you really need -- it's making the tonality feel rather woolly. However, it's not a right-across-the-mix thing, I don't think. My biggest suspicions rest on the hand drums, which I can hear in the intro and at places like 1:17 as having a great deal of resonant ringing in that zone which can't be doing your mix clarity any good. Even if you want that stuff in the intro, I'd definitely recommend multing it to a different track with more controlled LF for most of the rest of the song.

The acoustic guitar sound is critical to this mix, but is rather poorly recorded -- three mics all catching rubbish sounds, if memory serves! As a result the pick noise is a bit excessive and there's a definite absence of real midrange information, and both those concerns carry into your mix for me at the moment. It's not easy to deal with, though, and if you've read my Mix Rescue article about this track, you'll see that I went through various conniptions to try to improve these issues -- with only a certain amount of success, it has to be said!

Maybe it's just me, but I do wish there was something in the way of delay on the "my love" high lines to give them a bit more expansiveness. The vocals are pretty well handled otherwise, though, I think.

Thanks for posting -- and well done for having a go at this one, which was is probably one of the more demanding of the Mix Rescue multitracks in the library!
Hi Mike, first off all thank you for running this great website and to allowed us to use multitracks library.
The song was a quite a challenge to mix, thank you for your comments, I'll work on improving my mixing skills.

I agree with Mike's assessment overall, mostly with the "woolly" factor. Sounds really good on my studio monitors, but it would kill my car stereo without a doubt.

I disagree on the acoustics however. As he stated, they were poorly recorded (like everything else in this multitrack), so I kind of like the fact that you didn't go out of your way to "fix" them too much. They sit back just enough to my ears.

I'd say, given the material in question, that you did a pretty stand-up job. I haven't heard a mix on here yet (including my own, Mike's, or anyone else's) which I feel really pulls it off 100% That's because I don't believe there is a 100% on this one. I'm sure you realize that you can never take a crappy recording and turn it into gold; it is just a matter of how good a job you can do with what you've got to work with. In that regard, I think this is a stand-up job!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]