Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DaimonB-Toxic-Damage's already done-
I am your super fan, man. Such a great song. Your music inspires me to be a better mixer.

* Didn't really do a good to the vocals (just too many of them, so I was overwhelmed) and the synths on the first try, especially the lead synth. Sounded like it was buried beneath the guitars and the other synth.

.mp3    Toxic-DaimonB-Trampmix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.66 MB)

.mp3    Toxic-DaimonB-Trampmix_1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.66 MB)

.mp3    DaimonB-Toxic-TrampmixV2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.66 MB)

.mp3    DaimonB-Toxic-TrampmixV3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.66 MB)

.mp3    DaimonB-Toxic-Trampmix-V4.mp3 --  (Download: 6.66 MB)

Hi sonic tramp, listen to take 2.
Am find vocals are sitting right on top of track; mainly in the chorus, making the track sound disconnected.
This is due to your other elements being smashed with compression; losing most of the dynamics, furthermore pushing all the high mids forwards. this also makes the track and harsh. further more there is a massive contrast between the verse low mids and the chorus . you mix buss and master compression is making track have difference in levels; because not a lot going on in verse its not reacting ;then chorus kicks in a n volume drops, needs looking at for a consistent sound
. the kick in verse is clashing with bass. You are getting there, nice that you keep on trying with this one as it is a mix of FQS.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON.
(18-04-2024, 09:34 AM)Rustyruss Wrote: Hi sonic tramp,  listen to take 2.
Am find vocals are sitting right on top of track; mainly in the chorus, making the track sound disconnected.
This is due to your other elements being smashed with compression; losing most of the dynamics, furthermore  pushing all the high mids forwards. this also makes the track and harsh. further more there is a massive contrast between the verse low mids and the chorus . you mix buss and master compression is making track have difference in levels; because not a lot going on in verse its not reacting ;then chorus kicks in a n volume drops, needs looking at for a consistent sound
.  the kick in verse is clashing with bass. You are getting there, nice that you keep on trying with this one as it is a mix of FQS.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON.
Thanks, man, for pointing that out for me. It took me some time to figure out what to do, but that's the name of the game, right? There can only be so many ways to swing a cat by its tail Smile. Eventually some of us will find a safe way to handle even that. Anywayz, I love this song so I knew I would have to come back to it one way or another tho the technical stuffs is getting in the way, bro. I am not liking it, but why complain, right? And thanks a bunch for even write something. It did help, in both ways, technically and emotionally. I am not crying...yet Smile, but it is very encouraging, your words. Thanks for being kind.
Came back and took another stab at this song, with great care I tried to avoid all the pitfalls pointed out. I am not sure I was able to avoid them all or not, but (with great faith) I hope you'd help by pointing it out for me if I missed any of them, right? Smile. I love this song but always feel disappointed for not doing a good job expressing it sonically, let alone musically, thru my mix. This is another attempt to reach that goal Smile. Thanks for the listen. It does help.
I wasn't too happy with the bottom end and the vocal's intelligibility on the last mix- it wasn't clear enough to hear the lyrics and the bottom end lacked the sizzling from the bass synth. So I tried to address those problems. I think it got a bit better ( by a/b-ing the last mix with the current one) but not 100% sure that my ears are not lying to me Smile. If you think it got better (or worse) please let me know. I only have a pair of headphones so it's hard for me to tell. Thanks for the listen.
Hey mate! Just wanted to share some opinions on V4 real quick:
1) The snare is the weakest part of the track and there's a reason for that. It's very white-noisy instead of having a real smack to it. It sounds like a thip, and it should sound more like a thick smack. I would definitely beef it up and carve out a bit of some of the gross sounding bottom snare sound. More top snare with a high shelf boosting the crack at like 6khz and up, less bottom snare mic because that bottom snare just sounds very rattly in your mix.
2) The vocals could be more compressed and maybe saturated more, with some delay on them. Ducking that delay would make a huge difference, too, so that the vocals have maximal intelligibility and then the delay pops out when the vocals aren't present. If you'd like help on that, I'm happy to explain how it works. Overall, they just need some depth.

Other than that, the balances are actually pretty good. You just need some simplicity here. The snare from the first mix iteration sounded much fatter, but still sounded somewhat plasticky. Address the space between 3khz and 5khz in the snare and see why it sounds so noisy and you'll probably get closer to your original vision while also being much cleaner!
@aftercutrecord. Thanks, man, for the comment. I really appreciate it. The snare (and everything else) is always a big problem for me. I can never get it right (sigh), but I'll keep trying as suggested. Great! I need help on working the fx on the vox, and everything else for that matter actually, if you don't mind spending the time helping out. I really want to learn how to do it right. I don't mind you explaining it like to a 6 yr old and as detail as you can. Thanks for being kind and for reaching out to help. It's an offer I cannot and will not refuse Smile. (p.s I do listen to your mixes and yours is among those I admire in here. I am trying my hardest to crawl my way up to that. My jaw is always on the floor whenever I hear a great mix on the same song I am working on but can never get to that level. Always mystified and always wonder where and when I got it wrong and, of course, most importantly, how I got it wrong. So any mentoring from you or anybody is greatly appreciative). I am ready to learn. Thanks in advance.