Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FULL MIX (COMPLETE) BLUE LIT MOON
HI GUYS , PLS COMMENT 

THANK YOU 

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

.mp3    Blue Lit Moon Full mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.29 MB)

Hey jake02sg,

Love your mix mate, and really like how the drums turned out.
Maybe a bit "darker" for me, but the balance is nice

Cheers
MacPro 5,1 - Big Sur | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
Greetings,

What were your musical priorities?

Because the priority I hear is:

1. snare
  2. kick
  3. singer's backing vocals/reverberated words
  4. toms
  5. crash/ride cymbals
  6. hi-hat
  7. guitar
  8. bass
  9. singer
And I disagree with that priority, because I think songs should be about the lyrics, so the singer's voice should be first and up close; and the rest should be arranged in the background, in order of decreasing musical "contribution" or "story". So here for me it would be singer (+ backing vocals/reverberated words), guitar (and since they are on top of each other often, put them to the side a little bit, not on top of each other in the center – in a real stage (acoustic instruments) you don't have everyone playing in the center, everyone is playing from different positions), bass, and the rest (drums) only then.

This song I think does not have a genre that needs a strong "in your face, rock concert" drums, so drums are perhaps ok in the background. Maybe only bring them forward at the emphasized sections (where all start to play).

And if you have that, and you want more drums, then add spice to the drums to taste.

What do you think?

So I vote for you to "open up" (EQ) the singer's main track a bit, make it feel closer.  And then take away the sharpness from other tracks you want to push to the background (e.g. cymbals, drums) by "blurring them" (think photoshop) by carefully adding various amounts of reverb to them to make them feel more "distant".

I rather like your backing vocals. I would prefer the main singer to be that clear (although not cutting that much bass, to keep weight and presence).

Now I probably overdid it in my example below, and it does not sound very full or engaging... but it at least indicates the general direction.

.mp3    Blue Lit Moon - Dad\'s Glad_r1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.97 MB)