Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Elephant in my DAW
Here's my version of "The Elephant."
Like many have said, the biggest challenge is that verse vocal. Added some delay to make it sound further away without killing it completely. Snare proved a challenge as well.
Curious what others will think.  Big Grin

.mp3    The_Elephant.mp3 --  (Download: 9 MB)

The verse vocal is the biggest challenge? I haven't heard that. How so? I'm not trying to be a jerk I'm just curious as to why. It's relatively well recorded. Plus, it's the verse vocal, the second most important element after the chorus vocal. Everything should be a challenge around it.

As to this mix the vocal feels a bit sibilant and buried. The contrast between the verse and chorus might be too stark. I'm not sure it has to sound further away. It's a fairly vulnerable lyric so it should speak closer and connect to the listener but I might be wrong.
(03-09-2020, 11:10 PM)RoyM Wrote: The verse vocal is the biggest challenge? I haven't heard that. How so? I'm not trying to be a jerk I'm just curious as to why. It's relatively well recorded. Plus, it's the verse vocal, the second most important element after the chorus vocal. Everything should be a challenge around it.

As to this mix the vocal feels a bit sibilant and buried. The contrast between the verse and chorus might be too stark. I'm not sure it has to sound further away. It's a fairly vulnerable lyric so it should speak closer and connect to the listener but I might be wrong.
Agree with it being a bit sibilant and the dynamics problem between sections. As for the verse, maybe it just my personal opinion but I thought the vocal sounded a little too raw without a sense of space.
The snare is a little soft compared to the kick. I suggest getting those more even, and then bringing up the drums in the mix overall. Conversely, the vocals are a bit *too* present (and the slapback effect could stand to be lowered and blended into the mix more -- right now it's booming).