Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
SE Sound Mix (Kat)
Wanted to thank everyone in advance for checking out my mix. Comments and stars are always welcomed and appreciated. I mixed this one with a live feel approach rather than a studio sound approach. Slightly different from the norm but I felt with the great horn section is was worth creating a live feel version of this tune. Thanks again for listening.

.mp3    S.E. Sound Studio - Contact-Kat Wright (Soul-Jazz).mp3 --  (Download: 12.39 MB)

This sounds pretty good to me. However, there are a few things that bother me when I listen to this:
- The drums sound too harsh. That hi-hat is really tiring to the ears.
- The esses on the vocals sound too harsh.
- I get a bit dizzy when I listen to this in headphones. It feels like you have applied some stereo enhancement to the mixes. I think you should remove that or ease back on it.
- The louder parts sound distorted. You probably used too much limiting on the mix bus or in mastering. I measured the loudness of this track to -8LUFS. This kind of loudness really hurts the sound quality. There is no need to go louder than -12LUFS these day, when everything is loudness normalized.

I hope this was helpful. I'm uploading my own mix of this song. I would really appreciate if you give me some feedback.
(19-09-2020, 03:17 AM)Frej Wrote: This sounds pretty good to me. However, there are a few things that bother me when I listen to this:
- The drums sound too harsh. That hi-hat is really tiring to the ears.
- The esses on the vocals sound too harsh.
- I get a bit dizzy when I listen to this in headphones. It feels like you have applied some stereo enhancement to the mixes. I think you should remove that or ease back on it.
- The louder parts sound distorted. You probably used too much limiting on the mix bus or in mastering. I measured the loudness of this track to -8LUFS. This kind of loudness really hurts the sound quality. There is no need to go louder than -12LUFS these day, when everything is loudness normalized.

I hope this was helpful. I'm uploading my own mix of this song. I would really appreciate if you give me some feedback.
Thanks for the feedback. I know this one was far from perfect... the sub freq are a bit hot on this one making the master bus processes work a hard in spots. I am sure it is more noticeable in an mp3 conversion than my actual master. Probably why you hear distortions on some of track. I usually try to keep my LUFS at -10 -12 for most stuff unless it is for a special project or specific broadcast requirements. I thought I hit my mark in mastering on this one but if u r seeing -8 thats way to much and not sure how I missed that....Nets stereo enhancement...Good ears my man here was the experiment. I applied an 8th order HF stereo spread to the master bus in an attempt to model or trick the ears into thinking it was recorded in  a large open space without using a reverb plug-in. An experiment I had not tried before but obviously a failed one..hahaha. I know it certainly spread things out in the upper range and helped it take on a live feel but still remain clean. Obviously if it is making you a bit dizzy thats not good...hahahah It did seem to enhance the ess range of the vox a bit and did odd things to the hats and other stuff. I thought I got most of it back under control but obviously not as good on the mp3 conversion. I like to upload experiments to get some feedback so thanks for checking it out. It is hard to know if something is working if no one mentions anything about the mix. Especially working with very experimental processes. I appreciate the feedback and will mod my mix with your suggestions in mind. Thanks again for listening.
Glad I could help!

I took a very different approach to this song. It would be interesting to hear what you think of it.