Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Black Crown - Cage - Mix and Master by Brett Lewis @ Endgame Studio
Hi,

Please critique my mix and master of Cage.

Added second master with more multi-band compression.

.mp3    The Black Crown - Cage - Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.98 MB)

.mp3    The Black Crown - Cage - Master - MBCMP.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

Most of the time less is better to me too much going on
(29-07-2020, 08:10 PM)warlord62864 Wrote: Most of the time less is better to me too much going on
Any sections in particular? Do you not think that if the band has gone to the effort of recording all the parts they assume they were part of their original composition?
(30-07-2020, 02:26 PM)Endgame Wrote:
(29-07-2020, 08:10 PM)warlord62864 Wrote: Most of the time less is better to me too much going on
Any sections in particular? Do you not think that if the band has gone to the effort of recording all the parts they assume they were part of their original composition?
I am speaking of way too much processing
(30-07-2020, 10:58 PM)warlord62864 Wrote:
Have you uploaded any mixes on here that I can use as a reference?
(31-07-2020, 09:38 AM)Endgame Wrote:
I see that you have a mix of this song, I can see you prefer a minimal mixing approach and if that is what sounds good to your ears then that is your style of mixing. I feel that the way I mixed the song adds a different character or flavor than the other mixes on here. I guess that is what differentiates us as mixing aspiring engineers. Appreciate your comments and maybe I'll try a more minimal approach on further songs and see how it works for me.
(31-07-2020, 09:51 AM)Endgame Wrote:
I see that you have a mix of this song, I can see you prefer a minimal mixing approach and if that is what sounds good to your ears then that is your style of mixing. I feel that the way I mixed the song adds a different character or flavor than the other mixes on here. I guess that is what differentiates us as mixing aspiring engineers. Appreciate your comments and maybe I'll try a more minimal approach on further songs and see how it works for me.
Actually I like your approach and your creativity I just dont feel as though im there in the room alot of things I dont hear that are on the tracks just kind of hard to explain sitting here chatting and listening....Everything needs to be more open and natural so you can hear it all....
(31-07-2020, 01:26 PM)warlord62864 Wrote:
(31-07-2020, 09:51 AM)Endgame Wrote:
(30-07-2020, 02:26 PM)Endgame Wrote: Any sections in particular? Do you not think that if the band has gone to the effort of recording all the parts they assume they were part of their original composition?
Actually I like your approach and your creativity I just dont feel as though im there in the room alot of things I dont hear that are on the tracks just kind of hard to explain sitting here chatting and listening....Everything needs to be more open and natural so you can hear it all....

I looked at similar bands, FFDP for example and looked at their approach. I get what you are saying but I hear everything in its own space, I made sure everything had its own space. Do you hear the same things in the mixes of other song's I've posted on here?
(25-07-2020, 08:18 AM)Endgame Wrote: Hi,

Please critique my mix and master of Cage.

Added second master with more multi-band compression.

Listening to mix 2
   I like the space of the snare, the reverb that opens up a room sound and it's nice and snappy.   I also like the slight distortion on the lead vocal.      
   One immediate issue I notice is that the lead vocal is off beat - maybe because of latency, processing of the insert plugins you have on it, or maybe it got shifted, but it's behind the beat like by a small interval.   I don't mean a whole beat or eighth or sixteenth, I mean just a nudge.     The word "different" in the first line "Different tales..." is supposed to land exactly on the 4 of measure 1, "tales" on the 1 of measure 2 of the verse - you don't have to lose the plug ins but maybe just pull the vocal track forward a few tics to compensate.   
    There's a lot of reverb building up smog by 45 seconds in and also at 1:15 - particularly after the low tom hits - if you don't want to lower the reverb times then consider at least cutting the low end EQ off the tails.    
    It seems you're either not using the backing vocal tracks at all, or maybe you comped between the 3 leads. and just left out the harmony entirely.    OR the double track lead vox and harmony are so low in the mix they're just buried.    That's a production choice, nothing wrong with it.  Wait, a harmony just popped up at 3:50 "don't you feel the hate" - barely heard it.
    Yeah by 3:25 the low tom reverb in particular  is just pumping out a lot mud.   
   I like that your mix is making electronic drum kit sound real.  I don't know how much you relied on the Drums Room Stereo track but I found it got so washy with cymbals in the choruses it was hard to tame.   Great work !
boomaga  (Drew Perkins)
MTSU Mass Comm Recording Industry, BS in Audio Recording Production & Tech, 2004
 using Cubase 10

Gear List