Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trick Bird: 'Window'
Hello good people.

Thought I would have a play with this light hearted track whist on the road holidaying. A sweet little track with an arrangement that was a joy to work with. Armed with just my laptop, headphones and bluetooth speaker I may need some feedback on how it's translating in the real world. I managed to get it reasonably close sonically to some reference tracks I had with me, so heres hoping.
Comments always welcome. Thanks for listening.

Update 28/09/18 Mix#2 Added. Vocal Adjusted as per KMusic critique.

.mp3    TrickBird_Window_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.13 MB)

.mp3    TrickBird_Window_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.13 MB)

Hey Dave

I hope your enjoying your holiday.. Really nice balance, Im not familiar with this song, but it sounds like the challenge here are the vocals. They are very sibilant and breathy, maybe a bit of taming. Everything else sounds great to me. Enjoyable listen. Ill have to have a go at this, BTW, what song did you use for a reference?

Great Job!

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(27-09-2018, 01:15 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hey Dave

I hope your enjoying your holiday.. Really nice balance, Im not familiar with this song, but it sounds like the challenge here are the vocals. They are very sibilant and breathy, maybe a bit of taming. Everything else sounds great to me. Enjoyable listen. Ill have to have a go at this, BTW, what song did you use for a reference?

Great Job!

Cheers
KSmile

Thanks for the heads up K. I'll see if I can control that upper register a little better. As for referencing, the only track I had in my laptop that was somewhat close was a song called "Good Dances" by The Sleepy Jackson. An Aussie band on a compilation album I have. I think it works ok.
Thanks again Kirk.
Mix#2 added with help from Kirks critique. I only have some basic plugins at my disposal when on my Macbook, so based on this, I have tried to control the sibilance issues with Reapers ReaXcomp. Hopefully I have achieved this while at the same time, keeping the vocal sounding full and natural.
Hey Dave
I had no clue the vocals were that breathy and sibilant until started mixing it, you did good with the reaXcomp, tamed them a lot.

You did a really nice job on the intro, It fits much better than the original. First listen, not knowing the song I thought that was the stock intro. very nice!!

Great Job as always!

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(28-09-2018, 08:53 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hey Dave
I had no clue the vocals were that breathy and sibilant until started mixing it, you did good with the reaXcomp, tamed them a lot.

You did a really nice job on the intro, It fits much better than the original. First listen, not knowing the song I thought that was the stock intro. very nice!!

Great Job as always!

KSmile

Thanks again K, reaXcomp is a pretty handy plug that I don't use often enough.

I see you've just had a go at this one also. I'll check it out tonight when I've got some internet access and have my headphones handy.

Cheers