Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay, I´m also trying a mix of this really nice song
I´m looking forward to your comments! Doesn´t matter if you like it, or not. I´m very interested in your opinion!
Rainer

.mp3    Hold On You RS.mp3 --  (Download: 3.08 MB)

A little work on the snare and a long fadeout, as James wanted in his posting!

.mp3    Hold On You RS1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.15 MB)

Sounds very balanced to me, there's nothing out of place and everything is quite under control. But in general it sounds more like a demo than a finished mix. Now, it's unlikely I know better than you, so it'd be hard for me to pinpoint at the reasons, though I can try:

First, main reverb feels too boxy. I don't know how many tracks are sending to it, but the whole ambience is like a tape recorder on the floor (not that bad, but still boxy and roomy). There's a claustrophobic thing about the mix, I'd say it's because of that.
I can't tell if you replaced something else beside the snaredrum (there are misstriggers and removing the rimshot is a big no-no), but that it's a maybe too tight and synthish snare sound, makes the mix heavier and slower and takes a lot of air from it.
It's also quite a dark mix, summing to that 90's studio demo feeling.

As I said, I'm far from an expert, so take it all with a grain of salt.
Thank you, for your statement!
I think you´re right. Especially in cause of the snare!
I killed the trigger and tried to open up the whole thing. On the other hand I like a little bit of darkness (maybe it´s my psyche .......) ;-)

(17-07-2018, 08:20 AM)Deliza Wrote: First, main reverb feels too boxy. I don't know how many tracks are sending to it, but the whole ambience is like a tape recorder on the floor (not that bad, but still boxy and roomy). There's a claustrophobic thing about the mix, I'd say it's because of that.
I can't tell if you replaced something else beside the snaredrum (there are misstriggers and removing the rimshot is a big no-no), but that it's a maybe too tight and synthish snare sound, makes the mix heavier and slower and takes a lot of air from it.
It's also quite a dark mix, summing to that 90's studio demo feeling.

.mp3    Hold On You.mp3 --  (Download: 6.15 MB)