Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spirit Cold by Draper Experiment
So, I decided to try something fun. I gave myself half an hour to mix, and then gave myself half an hour more.

I'll be uploading both version, to see what everyone hears.

In the second half hour, I tried something that I ended up really liking.

I copied both room mics, fed them to a buss (turned their masters off, but kept the buss master on) put on a mid side decoder, and then panned the buss to the right (I mixed everything opposite of the actual stereo room mic so I inverted the stereo spread [yay reaper with protools GUI]). I used the piano room mic as the center, obviously. I also flipped the phase of the piano room mic.

I did a lot of cleaning up of the lower frequencies, and tried to get as much of the bow/string fizzle that happens throughout the track a few times with ReaXcomp hitting the high end pretty hard on all of the cello and room tracks.

I hope you guys like it, and obviously, the second mix is a LOT louder. I put on my Maxwell limiting amp at the end, and brought the whole level up.

Yea?

Draper

.mp3    SPIRIT COLD 30 minute.mp3 --  (Download: 11.36 MB)

.mp3    SPIRIT COLD 1 hr.mp3 --  (Download: 11.18 MB)

Hey Draper

2 solid mix's, interesting process on the 2nd one, I like it.. to me it seemed to define everything.. very clean.

Great Job!

Cheers

KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
I like your version Draper sounds clean and dynamic .

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I enjoyed this a lot Draper. A lovely listening experience through headphones. You've created a lovely space around the cello that really defines it within the context of the mix. This then plays off the guitar beautifully. Vocal treatment is also to my liking, very natural and fitting to the performance. Really nice work Draper. Well Done.

Dave