Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sin Six mix for eval
I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Adding an alternate mix.

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_SinSix_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.14 MB)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_SinSix_Mix3_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.04 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hi Dave, I'm Perpetual Escape's drummer and original mix engineer

Ok so I'll be honest and by that I mean try to make you progress, with all due respect of course Wink

First, it's really important to use reference tracks while mixing. so you simply add a similar song, already mixed and mastered, in your session routed to your output (so it's not affected by your plugins) and your goal is to try to imitate that pro mix as much as possible. So you have to listen to a lot of things : general tone (bassy ? midrangy ? agressive ? airy ?), the overall balance of each track (what's the most important element in that pro mix ? Vocals ? Drums ? Guitars ?), which element is the most upfront ? Which is the most behind ? What panning was used ? Etc....

When mixing, start with the most important element (usually drums for the instruments and vocals) and try to match your reference track. What your kick needs ? Less mids ? More subs ? More attack ? Grab an EQ, and fix that kick, and compare with and without your EQ (at the same volume). If it's better, cool, move on to the next track (let's say snare), if not, keep working on it.
Once all your tracks are EQed, time to use compressors. Listen the dynamics of your reference track. Try to match it one more time. If you don't really know how to use a compressor, go check on youtube, you'll find tons of great tutorials.

At the end, everything must sound BALANCED : can you hear each instrument ? Are they properly placed, for example your bass must not be in front of your vocals ? Etc...

One more tip : mix in mono. If everything sounds great on mono, than it will be stellar on stereo Smile

Keep practicing, watch tutorials, make mistakes (as we all do), learn, fix, and finally happy mixing Smile Smile Smile

Cheers !
Florian
Hi Florian, and thanks so much for the feedback. I honestly didn't even expect a reply from you, even though I've seen your name on other PE posts. Sadly, I'm at work now and cannot take the time to go into details. Your input is well received - I know my mixes lose everything I work on when in mono. Time to reverse the process, as you suggest - start in mono and then flip the switch back to stereo. More later, and thanks again!
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Thoughts welcome.

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_SinSix_Mix9_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.01 MB)

Peace,
Dave