Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Placido Domingo - Olli H
My version,
I had plenty of troubles, mostly because I didn’t know what direction I should go.

EDIT New version that is more focused

.mp3    Juanita_Dientes-2017-12-04-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.58 MB)

.mp3    Juanita_Dientes-2017-12-05-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.75 MB)

Nice! The drums (layered samples?) have nice fatness. Good depth. About the guitar, it's seems to be a double miced single performance, so panning the mics wide and giving it much upper mids starts to induce slight sea sickness due to phasing. Or at least that's why I ended 'dullyfying' the guitar. Still, a very good mix. ^_^
Thanks

(04-12-2017, 01:25 PM)kapu Wrote: Nice! The drums (layered samples?) have nice fatness. Good depth.
THe main reason to mix this song for me was to test if I could make decent sample addon to that snare. It was quite challenging.

(04-12-2017, 01:25 PM)kapu Wrote: About the guitar, it's seems to be a double miced single performance, so panning the mics wide and giving it much upper mids starts to induce slight sea sickness due to phasing. Or at least that's why I ended 'dullyfying' the guitar. Still, a very good mix. ^_^

Good point, I must check that guitar. If you're right about that (of course you're), then I'll test to drop out another mic altogether.

I also got a bit dizzy feeling of my first mix, so I made a new version. This time I used only one guitar mic. New version in the first post.
New version sounds very good! 5/5.
Hello,

I'm going to offer you an alternative perspective here. Nevertheless, I do hope some of the points I've raised can help you progress the mix. Oh, and future mixes, by way of principle.

The drums feel too far back to me and out of the action. I actually like the original snare, it has an attitude and makes a statement which yours has lost. They had it tight for a reason; ignore this reason at your peril because it's a foundation. The cymbals could do with rolling off, they are fatiguing. Not overjoyed with the over application of distortion on the lead vocal, perhaps back it off so it's subtle? Is it the bright overheads that made you take this path? If you do roll the overheads off, see how you feel about the vocal distortion.

For me, the guitar lacks emotion and interest on it's own here. It is possible to use the 2 tracks without introducing phase issues. This way you can then put some weight and emotion into the left and right channels which currently sounds light and wimpy, everything this song doesn't want to be. The two tracks would make it more interesting for the listener; more engaging. The guitar sounds in front of the vocal in the panorama, and somewhat detached. I'd look at the depth balance and try and hone it for consistency. I'd also be tempted to lose some of the tail on the backing vocals, they sound in a different space to the band otherwise.

The bass guitar feels weak for the role of foundation. That said, the depth of the drums would make the kick/bass balance need to be this way. If the drums are pulled forward, the kick will come up and you can review the bass guitar balance. With 2 guitar tracks panned out of the way of the bass, it could have a lot more authority and contribution.

Heck, it's only my view. If the outcome of your mix matches the vision in your mind before you started it, your job is done.
(06-12-2017, 10:01 AM)Max Headroom Wrote: Hello,

I'm going to offer you an alternative perspective here. Nevertheless, I do hope some of the points I've raised can help you progress the mix. Oh, and future mixes, by way of principle.

The drums feel too far back to me and out of the action. I actually like the original snare, it has an attitude and makes a statement which yours has lost. They had it tight for a reason; ignore this reason at your peril because it's a foundation. The cymbals could do with rolling off, they are fatiguing. Not overjoyed with the over application of distortion on the lead vocal, perhaps back it off so it's subtle? Is it the bright overheads that made you take this path? If you do roll the overheads off, see how you feel about the vocal distortion.

For me, the guitar lacks emotion and interest on it's own here. It is possible to use the 2 tracks without introducing phase issues. This way you can then put some weight and emotion into the left and right channels which currently sounds light and wimpy, everything this song doesn't want to be. The two tracks would make it more interesting for the listener; more engaging. The guitar sounds in front of the vocal in the panorama, and somewhat detached. I'd look at the depth balance and try and hone it for consistency. I'd also be tempted to lose some of the tail on the backing vocals, they sound in a different space to the band otherwise.

The bass guitar feels weak for the role of foundation. That said, the depth of the drums would make the kick/bass balance need to be this way. If the drums are pulled forward, the kick will come up and you can review the bass guitar balance. With 2 guitar tracks panned out of the way of the bass, it could have a lot more authority and contribution.

Heck, it's only my view. If the outcome of your mix matches the vision in your mind before you started it, your job is done.

Thanks for the comments.

I didn’t have any vision before I started this mix, nor after I finished it. But I still like my mix the way it is now. So I guess my job is done.

BTW, we seem to act totally opposite ways here in this forum. Normally I don’t comment anybody’s mix unless I have shared publicly my mix. Meanwhile, I have noticed that you only comment others’ mixes, but so far I haven’t heard any of your mixes.

But once you have posted here your mix of this song and showed us how the challenges of this song are solved, I will certainly read your comments more carefully.