Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red'
Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red'

v3 2018 mix

.mp3    Diesel 13 Colour Me Red.mp3 --  (Download: 7.62 MB)

.mp3    Diesel 13 - Colour Me Red Rev2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.62 MB)

.mp3    Diesel 13.mp3 --  (Download: 7.56 MB)

.mp3    Color Me red(2).mp3 --  (Download: 5.93 MB)

Hi javierpg84 listening through headphones early morning before work it sounds really good,really punchy and upfront and clear, main vocal sounds a tad dry on the verses but nothing to worry about imo,good job Smilei can't wait to do my mix 2.
Nice work javierpg84. I like your use of the electric guitar. I feel this is an important element that adds a certain vibe and energy that drives the song along. Just wondering if it's worth trying to scoop out some of the low to mid frequencies of this guitar and add a little sparkle to clear some space for the vocals and the other acoustic parts. It would be well worth the exercise to play around with, even if it doesn't work for you.

Well DoneBig Grin
(08-11-2016, 05:07 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi javierpg84 listening through headphones early morning before work it sounds really good,really punchy and upfront and clear, main vocal sounds a tad dry on the verses but nothing to worry about imo,good job Smilei can't wait to do my mix 2.

Thank you Cudjoe, I want to hear your version of it, you always put up great mixes. Cheers
(08-11-2016, 11:58 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Nice work javierpg84. I like your use of the electric guitar. I feel this is an important element that adds a certain vibe and energy that drives the song along. Just wondering if it's worth trying to scoop out some of the low to mid frequencies of this guitar and add a little sparkle to clear some space for the vocals and the other acoustic parts. It would be well worth the exercise to play around with, even if it doesn't work for you.

Well DoneBig Grin

Hi Dave, thank you for the compliments. I tried everything here in terms of guitar sound, I ended up with two DIs re-amped. I went all the way down with the bass for those. What you are hearing its some bass frequencies entering near the 200Hz. I filtered out this on the guitars to avoid clashing and mud the bass. The guitars are really the drivers of the groove in this song. Thank you again.
Well, first things first, your mix tonality feels a bit off-kilter, with a big build-up centred around 200Hz -- I felt I wanted to dial out about 3-4dB around there most of the time. I think the nature of the bass sound is partly to blame here, because (as mentioned in my other feedback posts) the bass guitar's fundamental frequency isn't very strong on these recordings. It feels to me as if you've tried to balance the bass guitar to compete with the kick-drum at the low end, but that's then over-stuffed the low midrange with the bass's first and second harmonics. Just EQ'ing the mixbuss won't do the trick, either, because (having tried that here) you lose unacceptable amounts of warmth and body from the guitars in particular. The best thing to do would be to try to get a bit more low end out of the bass guitar track itself, and then see if it'll balance more easily with the rest of the track without adding too much woolliness. The plus-side of the bass prominence is that we can really enjoy all his great little performance details and fills, but I'd look to bring those out by tweaking further up the spectrum personally.

That aside, though, I really like the directness of the sound you've put together here, which totally suits the vibe of the music and performance -- a very appropriate vision to choose, for my taste. Not only is the balance very solid (especially the kick and vocal), but there's a subtle sense of movement within the balance as well, which gives it life. It's not as heaving as some people's visions in terms of audible compression artefacts, and might perhaps benefit from exploring that a little further, but I already like it as it is. There's a particularly nice balance between the electric and acoustic guitars: you get the attitude of the electrics, but the liveliness of the acoustics. Nice effects on the clean Mid-section guitars too. You've not gone for such a strong alternating panning as some people have, but you've nonetheless made an impact in the stereo image with the lovely reverb/modulation halo you've added.

And this leads me on to another highlight of this mix for me -- the depth perspective. The vocal blends really well, but never risks its dominant upfront position, while the drums, bass, and rhythm instruments also feel punchy and present, but never seem to eclipse the vocal, which takes some doing. But the cherry on the top is when things like those Mid-section guitars (and indeed the ElecGtr04 and backing vocals in the Outro) suddenly open up different, more distant perspectives that not only serve to make the whole mix more varied, but also cement the psychological impression that the main band is right up your nose. Smile

But it's not just the dry/wet issue that's making the depth picture work so well: I think it's also the EQ and transient-processing choices, which all seem to support the front-back position suggested by the effects. That said, I think the snare could afford to have a bit more level and snap without it taking attention from the vocal. At the moment, the kick drum seems almost like it's a bit more present than the snare.

The more I listen to this mix, though, the more I like it. Great work!
Thank you Mike for your feedback. A new version is up as Rev2 with the corrections based on Mike's feedback. This is the final version to be considered for the contest.
Thank you all for the input and feedback.
Regards
Hi javierpg84 rev 2 sounds brilliant, much more forward and focused, mike's tips really worked wonders,I liked rev1 don't get me wrong but rev2 is fantastic good job.
(30-11-2016, 05:01 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi javierpg84 rev 2 sounds brilliant, much more forward and focused, mike's tips really worked wonders,I liked rev1 don't get me wrong but rev2 is fantastic good job.

Thank you Cudjoe. This mix was a great experience and I really enjoyed it. Its always great seeing you around. Take care and keep on putting your great mixes too.
regards from your mix buddy
Two years latter....