Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Colour Me Red - HB Mix
(08-11-2016, 04:03 PM)nate Wrote: HB - Great mix!! I really enjoyed listening to it. I agree with Petemix... you've set a darn good standard.

Really well done!!

hey nate, thanks man. It was a real tricky mix but i got some great advice from fellow members. That really helped me dial this in. Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
New version 2.1. A few tweaks;

1. slight re-balancing overall
2. clip gain editing/transient shaping of snare close mic
3. tweak master buss settings

.mp3    Colour Me Red_HB Mix 2.1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.63 MB)

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

Nice! Could the snare benefit from a bit more body? I like your electric guitar focused approach and the acoustic stompy feel of the drums. The vocals cut clear through the song without sounding harsh. Great work!
Interesting approach here, making more of a feature of the electric guitars and turning it in more of a pure rock direction. There's a fantastic crunch you've got on those guitars -- you've managed to give them aggression without them getting too fizzy, which is always a bit of a balancing act, so well done there. It's got a lot going for it. For a start it makes sense of the thick and slightled gated snare sound on the multitracks, as this is much more stylistically in keeping with a mainstream rock sound. The transition into the Mid-sections is also great, because of the way the cleaner panned call-and-response guitars contrast so beautifully with both the chugging stabs underpinning them and the more aggressive HMF-emphasis in the preceding riff section. Overall the balancing is pretty slick too, as I've come to expect of your mixes, and I like the lead vocal tone as well, which is both meaty enough to be taken seriously, and cutting enough to demand attention at all times (with the help of some careful automation, I imagine).

In terms of what I'd try to improve, I'd say the main thing is that the bass guitar feels underpowered at the low end, and therefore the mix as a whole feels a bit lightweight. The bass recordings are in general quite light on fundamental frequency, so you'll have to do some processing to tackle this, otherwise the instrument's first and second harmonics will bloat the mix sound before you get the low end solid enough.

The toms sound rather dislocated from the rest of the drum sound, and particularly the snare -- check out the fill at the end of Verse 4, for instance, where the snare has lots of ambience, but the toms sound like refugees from a Supertramp record! Smile I'm completely in tune with the idea of blending the snare in the way you have, but if you're going to do that, then you have to give the toms some of that sauce too, I reckon.

On a more general level, though, I think there are also some downsides to this more traditional rock vision. One is that it seems to lose some of the rootsy character of the raw tracks, which I think's a bit of a shame. But, that aside, relying more on the distorted elements robs your mix of a certain amount of internal movement and dynamics (electric guitars simply aren't as dynamic as acoustic guitars) and this combines with the tightly controlled drums to give the mix a slightly static and constricted feeling. If you're going to go with this vision, then I'd try to introduce a little more interaction and movement within the balance. This might be partly a case of more automation, but I think letting groups of instruments hit slightly more audible compression might also be a strategy.

One other thing -- the noisy consonants on the backing vocals are really jumping out. I'm assuming it's on account of the compression scheme you're using, so it might just be a question of lengthening the compressor's release time to avoid it pulling things like that up. That said, I quite like the tone of those vocals, so if you can't change the compression without sacrificing that, then just program a bit of automation in post-compressor to rebalance the consonsonants.

Another great new slant on this multitrack. It's really cool to hear everyone's different takes!
(15-11-2016, 06:23 PM)kapu Wrote: Nice! Could the snare benefit from a bit more body? I like your electric guitar focused approach and the acoustic stompy feel of the drums. The vocals cut clear through the song without sounding harsh. Great work!
Hey Kapu - thanks for listening and for your comments. Cheers, Simon

Thanks for your comments Mike. Lots of food for thought. I thought I was done but i think now there needs to be one last version! Smile

(17-11-2016, 02:40 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: One other thing -- the noisy consonants on the backing vocals are really jumping out.

eeks - i didn't have my de-esser switched on - for some reason it was on by-pass. Its amazing how our brains compensate. Once you alerted me its like...that's really obvious!

cheers, Simon

Final version, 2.2. Last round of tweaks;

1. EQ fuller bottom end on bass
2. fine tune drum eq/compression/fx
3. fine tune automation for acugtr levels
4. tweak intro for a bit more contrast
5. turn on BGV de-esser

Good luck to everyone entering contest!

.mp3    Colour Me Red_HB Mix 2.2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.63 MB)

Awesome mix brother.
I enjoyed it through my shitty phone headphones (it means a lot!)
I'll listen again at my studio and give you a proper feedback
Thanks for listening, glad u enjoyed it

Thank you 4 all you doing, guys! For these beautiful tracks, sounds and emotions I'm getting during the listening!
Sketching and listening the music - 2 favourite ways for me to get some rest and create. Love combine these things) And love to find some cozy art blogs or forums like yours...where people with similar perception of the world have the ability to communicate and create smth bigger, smth important for them, together.