Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Love Is Here To Stay - HB Mix
Couldn't wipe the smile off my face working on this mix --- such an amazing vocalist and band

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, 1.1 uploaded below

.mp3    Our Love Is Here To Stay_HB Mix 1.0 Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.88 MB)

Really nice mix sounds great enjoyed listening ,being really critical a touch more punch in bottom end on the bass would give your mix a touch more punch.
The vocals sound nice and clear a touch full in the mid range to my ears which is a nothing major just a personal taste thing.
Good job Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

My first intention was to make 50's sound with Doris Day as a reference. Now I notice that you have done it very well here. Smile With that perspective in my mind my only wish for your mix is that Doris could move one step forward. I like this mix.
(01-06-2015, 12:35 PM)thedon Wrote: Really nice mix sounds great enjoyed listening ,being really critical a touch more punch in bottom end on the bass would give your mix a touch more punch.
The vocals sound nice and clear a touch full in the mid range to my ears which is a nothing major just a personal taste thing.
Good job Big Grin !

Thanks for that...glad you liked it...the bass level was something i wasn't 100% sure about and I actually increased it just before printing v1....so i agree..it could do with more....and it may help balance/support the vocal too
(01-06-2015, 04:34 PM)Olli H Wrote: My first intention was to make 50's sound with Doris Day as a reference. Now I notice that you have done it very well here. Smile With that perspective in my mind my only wish for your mix is that Doris could move one step forward. I like this mix.

Hey Olli...thx for that...Gotta love the 50's vibe...some of my all time favourite songs EVER are 50's songs.....I'm a huge 50s Elvis fan....so although i didnt use any reference material apart from Mike's excellent mix.....its all imprinted into my memory
THere’s been long periods in my life when I have listened only 50’s music. Early Elvis has been always my biggest influence. Only Scotty Moore and Bill Black could rival his position. Smile Sun Sessions is one of the most influencal LPs ever - well at least to me. There was a time I could play most of Scotty Moore’s riffs.

Luckily I later learned that some good music has been made also in 60’s and 70’s. I wonder if I ever managet to arrive to modern century.
With the processing you have it makes the breaths really pronounced.. Was the effect a speaker cabinet simulation? Distortion? I feel it takes away from her voice a bit. I really like the rest of the instruments though.. you found a nice balance. At times it seems like the compression is noticeable, not sure if it's on individual tracks or the master, seems like the master. The darker tone to the sax is interesting.. at first I wasn't sure about it but the dark tone overall is growing on me.. maybe because mine is a little bright haha. Interesting mix. I enjoyed listening.
-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Hey iShouldBsleeping....thanks for listening and for your comments.

re vox.....nothing of note really in terms of processing.....i got an 1176 set to fast A/R knocking off 1-2 db on the more dynamic sections and then a slower TLA100 pulling 1-2db to keep it fixed overall.

I think what you're hearing is the master buss compressor. I just checked and it is running hotter than I would have expected and pulling about 3-4 db during the louder vocal passages, which is way more than i would usually set .... and a much more relaxed 0-1 db during instrumental sections....so will be effecting vox more than i anticipated

re dark tone.....yeah....my tendency used to be to produce bright clear mixes too but I'm actively ensuring that anything above 10-12K is there for a reason now otherwise it builds up track by track and ends up being harsh.

cheers,

Simon
Hey Simon, really fine mix, like it a lot, agree that the voc is too compressed, knocks the air out of it a bit [but I see what you wrote above]. But really nice intimate mix.
(12-08-2015, 08:51 AM)manuke Wrote: Hey Simon, really fine mix, like it a lot, agree that the voc is too compressed, knocks the air out of it a bit [but I see what you wrote above]. But really nice intimate mix.

Hey manuke....Thanks for your comments....glad you enjoyed it. Vox sounds much better when 2-buss comp is turned down.....definitely agree with your comments about knocking air the out of it.

cheers, Simon