Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fytakyte - Disconnected - mix by Phil
First try, quite busy mix, but fun to mix and listen.
I think I would change something in the mix, but have no time now, let me know what you think.
Thank you

Added a second version today

.mp3    Fytakyte - Disconnected.mp3 --  (Download: 6.76 MB)

.mp3    Fytakyte - Disconnected-02.mp3 --  (Download: 6.88 MB)

Hi Phil, nice work with your mix! You have some good tones happening. I like how present and clear the vocals are. The guitars come across nicely too, and I like the way you mixed the horns at the end.

There are a few balance issues: -
Most notably the transition from the intro/first verse to the full band/second verse of the song.
Everything sounds big and wide and the vocals are really loud in the "well I..." part, and then the vocal gets really quiet. When the full band riff comes in, the mix also seems to "shrink" both in width and volume. Its probably just a matter of getting things automation right, and some different panning decisions to make those transitions really fulfil the listener's expectations in a more satisfying way.

The second balance issue is the bass/kick relationship. The kick is really subby and hogging all the low end space in the mix, and the bass is barely audible by comparison. Those two really need to work hand in hand to make the groove of the song work. I would suggest working on reducing the sub from the kick and getting the bass to be more present in the mix by getting it to speak more in the low mids and the midrange.

Overall, nice work so far!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(26-02-2024, 04:21 AM)FytaKyte Wrote: Hi Phil, nice work with your mix!  You have some good tones happening.  I like how present and clear the vocals are.  The guitars come across nicely too, and I like the way you mixed the horns at the end.

There are a few balance issues: -
Most notably the transition from the intro/first verse to the full band/second verse of the song.
Everything sounds big and wide and the vocals are really loud in the "well I..." part, and then the vocal gets really quiet.  When the full band riff comes in, the mix also seems to "shrink" both in width and volume.  Its probably just a matter of getting things automation right, and some different panning decisions to make those transitions really fulfil the listener's expectations in a more satisfying way.

The second balance issue is the bass/kick relationship.  The kick is really subby and hogging all the low end space in the mix, and the bass is barely audible by comparison.  Those two really need to work hand in hand to make the groove of the song work.  I would suggest working on reducing the sub from the kick and getting the bass to be more present in the mix by getting it to speak more in the low mids and the midrange.

Overall, nice work so far!
Hi Fytakyte, thank you very much for the feedback!
I completely agree about the second balance issue (bass/kick relationship/low end), it is something I noticed myself.
I guess you are right also for the first one, but I have to listen again to be sure I got it.
Thanks again for the tracks, the lovely song, well performed. And it's great having feedback directly from you.
Hi!

In addition to the comments above, also keep an eye on the reverb too, as that can also push things back in a mix. Not an easy one this!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I'm working on this mix as well.  Great song.  Phil's mix is awesome.  

The transition between the intro and first verse is difficult for me as well.  Needs some snap!  The guitar riff is a bit compressed so I'm attempting to use an expander and some creative EQ to get it to kick in the face abit more.  
I'll post my mix soon.  I've got about 3 hours in after sorting thru all the parts.  The playing is exceptional.
(27-02-2024, 08:09 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

In addition to the comments above, also keep an eye on the reverb too, as that can also push things back in a mix.  Not an easy one this!

Cheers!
thanks mike|
(28-02-2024, 09:32 PM)shaneward204 Wrote: I'm working on this mix as well.  Great song.  Phil's mix is awesome.  

The transition between the intro and first verse is difficult for me as well.  Needs some snap!  The guitar riff is a bit compressed so I'm attempting to use an expander and some creative EQ to get it to kick in the face abit more.  
I'll post my mix soon.  I've got about 3 hours in after sorting thru all the parts.  The playing is exceptional.
thank you shaneward, I will listen to your mix.